Learn How to Simplify Algebraic Expressions with Easy Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a complex fraction and how to properly deal with the terms x + 1 and x + 1, which can be interpreted as either a subtraction or a grouping using parentheses. The final answer is x, found by simplifying the fractions and subtracting them from x + 1.
Dooga Blackrazor
Question:
_________
x + 1 - x + 1
_______
____
x+1

Here's where I'm stuck:

x + 1 * x+1
____

= x^2 + 2x + 1

(x + 1) - (x^2 + 2x + 1)

How are you supposed to deal with the x + 1 - x + 1
Thanks?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to get at here?, are you trying to find a derivative using the first principles?

The question is supposed to be simplified as a fraction in lowest terms - or not a fraction if that is the case. I don't know what your referring to I'm afraid, my math rhetoric is fairly limited.

well, okay, is it x+1-x+1 OR (x+1)-(x+1), because if it has brackets then it would equal 0, but if it has no brackets then it would simplify to 2.

I'm not sure excatly what you're trying to do but surely x + 1 - x + 1 = 2

simulpost :blushing:

Last edited:
The lines represent fractions or division. The x + 1 is being (-) subtracted by a fraction, which is connected to a bunch of other fractions. I how to get common denominators however once.

--- does not equal division or anything --- was used for moving #'s over.

-------___
x + 1 - x+1
------- ___
------- ___
------- x+1

I'm not sure what to do from there.

Last edited:
You'll have to be clearer, but surely 1/(x+1)/1/(x+1) = 1

I've got it now, thanks. The result of all the fractions is done first, then subtracted from x + 1, which gives you x, which results in the correct answer as marked on the sheet.

Thanks again.

1. What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and represent relationships between quantities.

2. What is the difference between Easy Algebra and regular Algebra?

Easy Algebra typically refers to basic algebra concepts and problems that are more straightforward and can be solved using simple methods, while regular Algebra involves more complex concepts and requires more advanced techniques to solve problems.

3. Why is Algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems, make predictions and decisions based on data, and build a strong foundation for more advanced mathematics and other fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common topics covered in Easy Algebra?

Some common topics covered in Easy Algebra include simplifying expressions, solving equations with one or two variables, graphing linear equations, and working with basic functions such as polynomials and exponents.

5. How can I improve my skills in Easy Algebra?

Some tips for improving skills in Easy Algebra include practicing regularly, seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed, and breaking down problems into smaller, manageable steps. It can also be helpful to review basic concepts and formulas frequently.