1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Ampere's Law Problem

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    An infinitely long solid conducting wire of radius a = 2 cm centered on the z-axis carries a current I1 = 5 A out of the screen. The current is uniformly distributed over the cross-section of the wire. Co-axial with the wire is an infinitely long thin cylindrical conducting shell of radius of b = 5 cm that carries a current of I2 = 4 A into the screen.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/TwinGemini14/Ampere.gif

1) At x = 1 cm, y = 0 (within the central wire), the magnetic field points

A) in the +x direction.
    B) in the +y direction.
    C) in the -y direction.

:: This should be B, in the +y direction. Use the right hand rule. Current is going out of the page and curl fingers to show that at (1,0), it should point 'up'.
    ----------------
    2) In the region a < r < b (between the central wire and the thin shell), the magnitude of the magnetic field

A) is constant.
    B) is porportional to r.
    C) is proportional to 1/r.

:: I'm not sure how to explain it, but my gut feeling is that it is proportional to r. So B.
    -----------
    3) At x = 6 cm, y = 0 (outside of the shell), the magnetic field points

A) in the -x direction.
    B) in the +y direction.
    C) in the -y direction.

:: This is very similar to question 1. The answer should be C. Use the right hand rule and notice that at (6,0), the field points 'down'.
    -----------------
    4) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at x = 1 cm, y = 0 (within the central wire)?

A) 5 µT
    B) 10 µT
    C) 15 µT
    D) 20 µT
    E) 25 µT

:: This one I cannot seem to figure out. HELP NEEDED HERE. I've tried finding the current density at a radius of x=1 and using ampere's law, but cannot seem to come to one of the 5 options. Any advice?

B = (4pi*10^-7)(pi*(0.01^2)) / (2pi * 0.01) = 3.14*10^-8 WRONG!!!
    ------------------------

5) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at x = 6 cm, y = 0 (outside of the shell)?

A) 0.78 µT
    B) 3.33 µT
    C) 4.51 µT
    D) 8.20 µT
    E) 12.7 µT

:: B = ((4pi*10^-7)*(Ienclosed))/(2pi*r)
    B = (4pi*10^-7)*(5-4) / (2pi * 0.06)
    B = 3.33*10^-6

ANSWER IS B.
    --------------------------------
    Can somebody please look over my answers? I cannot seem to figure out number 4. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted