1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy But Dont Get

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Easy But Dont Get!!!

An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 32.7 angle and travels 7.71m .

A) What was the takeoff speed in m/s?

B) If this speed were increased by just 4.0%, how much longer would the jump be?

Can you answer this for me. And if you could add some on how you got it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Easy But Dont Get!!!

No, it doesn't work like that

The idea is that you attempt it and we tell you what you did wrong.

4. Sep 19, 2008 #3

I have no clue how too, that’s why I’m posting it and asking to show how it’s done. Come on, if your good at a subject like physics, then you should already know this, there genius.

5. Sep 19, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a question of if I already know it - this is a homework forum, just telling you the answer is no more use than me saying that the answer sheets are in the top left drawer of the teacher's desk.

When you posted the question it displayed instructions to show what equations you know and your attempt at a solution

There are three equations of motion in your textbook for this kind of situation.
    v = u + gt, v2 = u2 + 2gs and s = ut + 1/2 g t2 The actual letters might vary.

The trick is to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the motion separately and how the speed changes in each direction.

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5

What is the variable "U" stand for?

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity.

Hint - there is no horizontal accelaration, if you ignore air resistance the horizontal speed is constant. Vertical accelearation is fixed by gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?