1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Calculus Problem

1. May 11, 2004 #1
    Ok, I have 2 problems. I think my first one deals with an algebra II thing. But, it's: Evaluate the limit (if it exists):

lim (x approaches -2) (x+2)/(x^3 +8)

I think my problem came from factoring the denominator, which I got as
    (x+2)(x^2 - 4x +2), so my answer came out to be 1/14, which is not one of the answer choices. I can't remember factoring cubes. I know it's SOPSMS, but I can't even remember how to do that.

My other problem. Can anyone give me an example of finding the gradient of a function at, say x=3, for something that has an exponent with a variable? Maybe 4^x. Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2004 #2
    You cube is almost correct but you needed to multiply 2 and x and have 2^2 at the end so you should get (x+2)(x^2 - 2x +4). The answer is 1/12

4. May 12, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you want, for example:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} 4^x=\ln 4 \times 4^x[/tex]

(It's usually called a derivative in english. Gradient refers to other things.)

5. May 13, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In a bit more detail: if y= ax, then ln(y)= x ln(a) so (ln(y))'= (1/y)y'= ln(a)
    Then y'= ln(a) y= ln(a) ax.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?