Is the Resistance of this Easy Circuit Really Just 10 Ohms?

• Thread starter jmcgraw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: The equivalent resistance of a resistor in parallel with a short-circuit is a short-circuit.In summary, the potential at the top of the right side resistor is the same as at the bottom, making the current through it zero. Hence, only the left resistor provides resistance to the circuit and the total resistance is 10 ohms. This may seem counter intuitive, but it follows Ohm's law and the concept of current taking the path of least resistance. This analogy also extends to resistors in parallel, where the short-circuit has zero resistance and all the current passes through it.
jmcgraw
Is the resistance of this circuit 10 ohms?

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/9229/littlecircuitro8.jpg

I can't prove anything to myself since the resistors aren't in parallel or series.

I do notice that the potential at the top of the right side resistor is the same as at the bottom... So by Ohm's law the current through it should be zero, and so it's just sitting there not resisting anything. Hence, only the left resistor provides resistance to the circuit and R_total = 10 ohms.

Am I correct? Because this just seems counter intuitive.Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. I don´t see why do you say it is counter intuitive.
The equivalent resistance of a resistor in parallel with a short-circuit is a short circuit.
The equivalent resistance of a resistor in series with a short-circuit is the resistance of the resistor.

I dunno... It just seems to me like perhaps a little bit of the current would get through. :smile:

I guess if I looked at it as the current taking the path of least resistence, then yeah, I guess it's pretty intuitive. (Although, obviously, such an analogy couldn't extend to resistors in parallel)

Anyways... Thanks!

jmcgraw said:
I dunno... It just seems to me like perhaps a little bit of the current would get through. :smile:

I guess if I looked at it as the current taking the path of least resistence, then yeah, I guess it's pretty intuitive. (Although, obviously, such an analogy couldn't extend to resistors in parallel)

Anyways... Thanks!
Such analogy extends to resistors in parallel. The short-circuit has zero resistance, so all the current passes through it.

1. What is an easy circuit?

An easy circuit is a simple electrical circuit that consists of a power source, a load, and conductive materials to connect them. It is designed to be uncomplicated and easy to understand, making it ideal for beginners or those who are new to electronics.

2. What are the components of an easy circuit?

The components of an easy circuit typically include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a load such as a light bulb or motor, and conductive materials such as wires and switches to connect them. Other components may be added depending on the specific design and purpose of the circuit.

3. How do I build an easy circuit?

To build an easy circuit, you will need to gather the necessary components and follow a basic circuit diagram or schematic. Start by connecting the power source to the load using conductive materials such as wires, and then add any additional components as needed. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with electricity.

4. What are some examples of easy circuits?

Some examples of easy circuits include a simple flashlight circuit, a basic switch circuit, and a series circuit with multiple loads. These circuits are often used in educational settings to teach the fundamentals of electricity and electronics.

5. Why are easy circuits important?

Easy circuits are important because they provide a foundation for understanding more complex electrical systems. They also allow for hands-on learning and experimentation, which can help to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, easy circuits are used in a wide range of everyday devices and technology, making it important to have a basic understanding of how they work.