1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Containment question

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    Prove that Sint[itex]\subseteq[/itex] S

Ok I thought this was going to be easy, but apparently i'm having issues.

So I said:

for all ##x## let x[itex]\in[/itex]Sint

==> there exists a B(r, x) s.t with any point a in Sint |X-a| < r.

But now S is the B(r,x) s.t |x-a| = r.....

This is where I'm stuck. I know I have to show that the properties of Sint also apply to S. Help

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    you should have said,

If x is in the interior of S, there exists a ball B(x,r) contained in S. Thus, for any a in the entire ambient space, if |a-x|<r, then a is in B(x,r) and thus in S.

The ball is in S, but why do you think S is in the ball?

I think the key point is that x itself is in the ball! Thus x is in... where?! (... as desired.)

4. May 27, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am pretty sure you don't know what S^int means. This IS be easy. Review the definition of S^int, ok?

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    That's exactly it, I do know what Sint means: it's the B(r,x) [itex]\subseteq[/itex]S. i.e: The ball of radius "r" about the point "x". contained in S, but then I didn't "prove" anything I just stated the definition.

Is there some characteristic about S that I should be using to join them? Or is it just that simple as the definition?

6. May 27, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's super easy. x is in B(r,x). If B(r,x) is contained in S then x is an element of S.

7. May 27, 2012 #6
    maaaaaaannnn. Is a question like that just made to mess with my head because it is just TOO easy, so you start thinking in circles?

8. May 27, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you overthink something that is easy, then you can start thinking in circles. But some things are just easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook