Proving the Containment of Sint in S: A Simple Task or a Mind-Bending Challenge?

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
In summary: Review the definition of S^int to see if you can figure out what is going on.If you overthink something that is easy, then you can start thinking in circles. But some things are just easy.
trap101
Prove that Sint[itex]\subseteq[/itex] S

Ok I thought this was going to be easy, but apparently I'm having issues.

So I said:

for all ##x## let x[itex]\in[/itex]Sint

==> there exists a B(r, x) s.t with any point a in Sint |X-a| < r.

But now S is the B(r,x) s.t |x-a| = r...

This is where I'm stuck. I know I have to show that the properties of Sint also apply to S. Help

Physics news on Phys.org
you should have said,

If x is in the interior of S, there exists a ball B(x,r) contained in S. Thus, for any a in the entire ambient space, if |a-x|<r, then a is in B(x,r) and thus in S.

The ball is in S, but why do you think S is in the ball?

I think the key point is that x itself is in the ball! Thus x is in... where?! (... as desired.)

I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am pretty sure you don't know what S^int means. This IS be easy. Review the definition of S^int, ok?

Dick said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am pretty sure you don't know what S^int means. This IS be easy. Review the definition of S^int, ok?

That's exactly it, I do know what Sint means: it's the B(r,x) [itex]\subseteq[/itex]S. i.e: The ball of radius "r" about the point "x". contained in S, but then I didn't "prove" anything I just stated the definition.

Is there some characteristic about S that I should be using to join them? Or is it just that simple as the definition?

trap101 said:
That's exactly it, I do know what Sint means: it's the B(r,x) [itex]\subseteq[/itex]S. i.e: The ball of radius "r" about the point "x". contained in S, but then I didn't "prove" anything I just stated the definition.

Is there some characteristic about S that I should be using to join them? Or is it just that simple as the definition?

It's super easy. x is in B(r,x). If B(r,x) is contained in S then x is an element of S.

Dick said:
It's super easy. x is in B(r,x). If B(r,x) is contained in S then x is an element of S.

maaaaaaannnn. Is a question like that just made to mess with my head because it is just TOO easy, so you start thinking in circles?

trap101 said:
maaaaaaannnn. Is a question like that just made to mess with my head because it is just TOO easy, so you start thinking in circles?

If you overthink something that is easy, then you can start thinking in circles. But some things are just easy.

1. What is "Easy Containment"?

Easy Containment refers to the concept of being able to easily contain or control a situation, usually in a scientific or experimental setting. It involves having the necessary tools, techniques, and protocols in place to prevent any unexpected or unwanted outcomes.

2. Why is "Easy Containment" important in scientific research?

Easy Containment is important in scientific research because it helps to ensure the safety of researchers and the environment, as well as the accuracy and validity of the results. It also allows for better management and control of experiments, leading to more reliable and reproducible data.

3. What are some examples of "Easy Containment" measures?

Examples of "Easy Containment" measures include using proper protective equipment, following strict protocols for handling hazardous materials, using containment chambers, and implementing safety procedures in case of accidents or spills.

4. How can scientists ensure "Easy Containment" in their experiments?

Scientists can ensure "Easy Containment" in their experiments by carefully planning and designing their experiments, following established safety guidelines and protocols, and regularly conducting risk assessments and safety trainings for themselves and their team.

5. What are the consequences of not having "Easy Containment" in a scientific experiment?

The consequences of not having "Easy Containment" in a scientific experiment can range from minor accidents and injuries to serious health hazards, environmental contamination, and inaccurate or unusable data. It can also lead to the shutdown of research projects and damage to the reputation of the scientists and their institution.