1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Density Problem

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    A wooden statue of Elsie the cow is held under water in a swimming pool with a force 6100 N. If Elsie's mass is 302.4 kg, what is the density of the statue?

This was off my last test, I know the set up from the problem was something like:
    density(water)*g*V=density(statue)*g*V+external force
    and V=m(statue)/density(statue)
    but I must be messing up the density of the water, and I do not know how to find the volume of the statue. I got 105 which was a choice on the test, but it was incorrect and the answer is 327. I must be plugging in the wrong numbers unless the test was wrong. Please let me if you see where the 327 came from. Thanks. Maybe this is even the wrong equation I am using, but I thought this was correct.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Nothing wrong with that.
    The density of water is about 1000 kg/m^3. Don't neglect to take full advantage of the given information: the mass of the statue. Using this information, everything on the right side of your first equation is known; you should be able to solve for V, and then the density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?