Calculating Velocity of a Rock Dropped into a Hole Drilled Through the Earth

The point is to use a simplified model of the Earth, where we assume a constant density and spherical symmetry, to solve a math/physics problem. This problem has a clear answer in this simplified model, even though we know it's not an accurate representation of the real Earth.
pierce15

Homework Statement

Inside the earth, the force of gravity is proportional to the distance from the center. If a hole is drilled through the Earth from pole to pole and a rock is dropped in the hole, with what velocity will it reach the center?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the proper way to set it up is

[tex] \frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = C (R - x), [/tex]

where R is the radius of the earth. Then, since the acceleration is ## g ## when the rock is at R, aka when x = 0, C must equal g / R. Thus, the equation is

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{ g}{R} (R-x) [/tex]

Is this the correct way to proceed?

[tex] \int \frac{d^2 x}{g/R (R - x)} = \int dt^2 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
piercebeatz said:

Homework Statement

Inside the earth, the force of gravity is proportional to the distance from the center. If a hole is drilled through the Earth from pole to pole and a rock is dropped in the hole, with what velocity will it reach the center?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the proper way to set it up is

[tex] \frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = C (R - x), [/tex]
I would be inclined to let x be the distance from the center of the earth, with x = 0 being at the center and x = R being at the Earth's surface.

For a differential equation I would start with m x'' = Cx, which is a 2nd-order DE with constant coefficients. Presumably you have already worked some problems like this.
piercebeatz said:
where R is the radius of the earth. Then, since the acceleration is ## g ## when the rock is at R, aka when x = 0, C must equal g / R. Thus, the equation is

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{ g}{R} (R-x) [/tex]

Is this the correct way to proceed?

[tex] \int \frac{d^2 x}{g/R (R - x)} = \int dt^2 [/tex]
No. Your integral is not correct.

Ok, so I have

[tex] \frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{g}{R} x [/tex]

Can I do this?

[tex] \frac{ R}{g} \int \frac{ d^2 x}{x} = \int dt^2 [/tex]

Does that even make sense?

By the way, I haven't learned anything about second order d.e.'s yet

piercebeatz said:
Ok, so I have

Can I do this?

[tex] \frac{ R}{g} \int \frac{ d^2 x}{x} = \int dt^2 [/tex]

Does that even make sense?
No, you can't do that, and it doesn't make sense.
piercebeatz said:
By the way, I haven't learned anything about second order d.e.'s yet
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I don't see any way around writing the equation as a 2nd order DE. I can't think of any trick to get it into the form of a 1st order DE.

Well, I don't need to solve it, I only need to find an expression for ## dx / dt ## since the problem is asking for the velocity at x = 0. Any ideas?

The DE could be written this way:
m dv/dt = kx, x(0) = R

or dv/dt = (k/m)x
If you integrate the left side, you get v, but the right side would have to be left as an integral, since you're integrating a function of t (i.e., x(t)) with respect to t.

piercebeatz said:
Ok, so I have

You have a sign error. x is the distance from the centre of Earth, which decreases if the rock is falling down. The correct equation is [tex]\frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = -\frac{g}{R} x[/tex]

The velocity v is the first time derivative of x, so d2x/dt2=dv/dt. You can consider v as function of x: v(x(t)). Whith the Chain Rule, dv/dt=dv/dx dx/dt = dv/dx v= 0.5 d(v2/dx). Your equation can be written as

[tex]\frac{ d(v^2)}{dx} = -\frac{g}{R} x[/tex].

that is a first order equation. Can you solve it for v2(x)?

ehild

Do you have to use a differential equation?
It is easier with energy conservation - ehild's last equation goes in the same direction.

Nice catch, ehild. (By the way, I was defining up as positive, so the g i was using had a self-contained negative, but you're right, using using -g works better here)

[tex] \frac{dx^2}{dt^2} = v \frac{ dv}{dx} = - \frac{g}{R} x [/tex]

[tex] \int v \, dv = -\frac{ g}{R} \int x \, dx [/tex]

[tex] v^2 /2 = - \frac{g}{R} x^2 /2 + C [/tex]

Since v= 0 when x = R:

[tex] 0 = - gR + 2C \implies C = gR /2 [/tex]

Plugging in x = 0:

[tex] v^2 = gR \implies v = \sqrt{gR} [/tex]

Interesting, even though I'm pretty sure hollowing out the Earth would take away its gravitational properties.

piercebeatz said:
Plugging in x = 0:

[tex] v^2 = gR \implies v = \sqrt{gR} [/tex]
Correct.

This is an immediate consequence of conservation of energy -- assuming "the force of gravity is proportional to the distance from the center", that is. This isn't the case. That assumption requires a constant density throughout. The Earth's interior has anything but a constant density. The Earth's core is mostly iron and is highly compressed. Gravitational acceleration at the core/mantle boundary (about halfway down) is greater than acceleration at the surface of the Earth! That the Earth does not have a constant density has been known since 1774. Even though it's rather unrealistic, this constant density assumption makes for lots of interesting and fairly simple math/physics problems.

Interesting, even though I'm pretty sure hollowing out the Earth would take away its gravitational properties.
We're not hollowing out the Earth here. We're just making a hole through the Earth, presumably one with an insignificantly small diameter.

D H said:
We're not hollowing out the Earth here. We're just making a hole through the Earth, presumably one with an insignificantly small diameter.

Good point, but I think that's also impossible

Of course it's impossible. That's not the point of the exercise.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more variables and their rates of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its characteristics.

3. What is an easy differential equation?

An easy differential equation is one that can be solved using the basic techniques and methods taught in introductory calculus courses. These equations typically involve only one variable and do not have complex or unusual characteristics.

4. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are used to model and describe many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can differential equations be applied to non-mathematical fields?

Yes, differential equations have applications in various non-mathematical fields such as medicine, ecology, and social sciences. They can be used to model the spread of diseases, population growth, and economic trends, among other things.