1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy differential equation

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Inside the earth, the force of gravity is proportional to the distance from the center. If a hole is drilled through the earth from pole to pole and a rock is dropped in the hole, with what velocity will it reach the center?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the proper way to set it up is

[tex] \frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = C (R - x), [/tex]

where R is the radius of the earth. Then, since the acceleration is ## g ## when the rock is at R, aka when x = 0, C must equal g / R. Thus, the equation is

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{ g}{R} (R-x) [/tex]

Is this the correct way to proceed?

[tex] \int \frac{d^2 x}{g/R (R - x)} = \int dt^2 [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would be inclined to let x be the distance from the center of the earth, with x = 0 being at the center and x = R being at the earth's surface.

For a differential equation I would start with m x'' = Cx, which is a 2nd-order DE with constant coefficients. Presumably you have already worked some problems like this.
    No. Your integral is not correct.

4. Dec 27, 2013 #3
    Ok, so I have

[tex] \frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac{g}{R} x [/tex]

Can I do this?

[tex] \frac{ R}{g} \int \frac{ d^2 x}{x} = \int dt^2 [/tex]

Does that even make sense?

By the way, I haven't learned anything about second order d.e.'s yet

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4

Mark44

No, you can't do that, and it doesn't make sense.
    Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I don't see any way around writing the equation as a 2nd order DE. I can't think of any trick to get it into the form of a 1st order DE.

6. Dec 27, 2013 #5
    Well, I don't need to solve it, I only need to find an expression for ## dx / dt ## since the problem is asking for the velocity at x = 0. Any ideas?

7. Dec 27, 2013 #6

Mark44

The DE could be written this way:
    m dv/dt = kx, x(0) = R

or dv/dt = (k/m)x
    If you integrate the left side, you get v, but the right side would have to be left as an integral, since you're integrating a function of t (i.e., x(t)) with respect to t.

8. Dec 27, 2013 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a sign error. x is the distance from the centre of Earth, which decreases if the rock is falling down. The correct equation is [tex]\frac{ d^2 x}{dt^2} = -\frac{g}{R} x[/tex]

The velocity v is the first time derivative of x, so d2x/dt2=dv/dt. You can consider v as function of x: v(x(t)). Whith the Chain Rule, dv/dt=dv/dx dx/dt = dv/dx v= 0.5 d(v2/dx). Your equation can be written as

[tex]\frac{ d(v^2)}{dx} = -\frac{g}{R} x[/tex].

that is a first order equation. Can you solve it for v2(x)?

ehild

9. Dec 27, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Do you have to use a differential equation?
    It is easier with energy conservation - ehild's last equation goes in the same direction.

10. Dec 27, 2013 #9
    Nice catch, ehild. (By the way, I was defining up as positive, so the g i was using had a self-contained negative, but you're right, using using -g works better here)

[tex] \frac{dx^2}{dt^2} = v \frac{ dv}{dx} = - \frac{g}{R} x [/tex]

[tex] \int v \, dv = -\frac{ g}{R} \int x \, dx [/tex]

[tex] v^2 /2 = - \frac{g}{R} x^2 /2 + C [/tex]

Since v= 0 when x = R:

[tex] 0 = - gR + 2C \implies C = gR /2 [/tex]

Plugging in x = 0:

[tex] v^2 = gR \implies v = \sqrt{gR} [/tex]

Interesting, even though I'm pretty sure hollowing out the earth would take away its gravitational properties.

11. Dec 27, 2013 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correct.

This is an immediate consequence of conservation of energy -- assuming "the force of gravity is proportional to the distance from the center", that is. This isn't the case. That assumption requires a constant density throughout. The Earth's interior has anything but a constant density. The Earth's core is mostly iron and is highly compressed. Gravitational acceleration at the core/mantle boundary (about halfway down) is greater than acceleration at the surface of the Earth! That the Earth does not have a constant density has been known since 1774. Even though it's rather unrealistic, this constant density assumption makes for lots of interesting and fairly simple math/physics problems.

We're not hollowing out the Earth here. We're just making a hole through the Earth, presumably one with an insignificantly small diameter.

12. Dec 27, 2013 #11
    Good point, but I think that's also impossible

13. Dec 27, 2013 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course it's impossible. That's not the point of the exercise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted