How do I set up integrals for differentials?

In summary, the person is having trouble with a specific problem involving integrals and is seeking advice. They were initially trying to set up two separate integrals for each variable, but this is not possible. They are then given specific instructions on how to approach the problem and are reminded of the concept of exactness for integrals. They are also encouraged to look up the "cross derivative" test if they are unfamiliar with it.
mewmew
Ok, I have having problems with the folloing:
http://www.physics.uc.edu/~simpson/pics/Desktop-Images/0.jpg
How exactly do I do this? I thought all I did, for example with the first du, was set up 2 integrals, one for the dx part, and one for the dy part. I then thought for (i) the dx integral would go from (a->x) and the dy integral would go from (b->y), then for (ii) I would integrate the dx from (b->y) and the dy from (a->x). To be honest though I am really pretty lost and any advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't "set up 2 integrals, one for the dx part, and one for the dy part." because each contains the other variable.

How about doing what you were told to do: (i) First integrate along the line from (a,b) to (x,b) then from (x,b) to (x,y). (The use of (x,y) as a specific point is confusing. I'm going to call that point (u,v)) On the first line, take x= t(u-a)+ a, y= b with 0<t< 1. Then dx= (u-a)dt and dy= 0. Substitute those values into the two differentials and integrate. On the line from (u,b) to (u,v) let x= u and y= t(v-b)+ b. Then dx= 0, dy= (v-b)dt, 0< t< 1. Again, put those into the two differentials and integrate. Add the results to find the integrals on the entire path.

Now, do the same thing on the lines (a,b) to (a, v) to (u,v): let x= a, y= (v-b)t+ b so that dx= 0, dy= (v-b)dt, 0< t< 1, then let x= (u-a)t+ a, y= v so that dx= (u-a)dt, dy= 0, 0< t< 1.

You should have learned that integrals such as these are independent of the path if and only if the differentials are exact. For which of these do you get the same integral over both paths? (Of course, that doesn't prove that the integral will be the same over any path. That's why the problem says "could be".)

Do you remember the "cross derivative" test for exactness? If not, look it up!

Hello there,

It seems like you are having trouble with understanding how to set up integrals for differentials. To start, it's important to understand that differentials are infinitesimal changes in a variable, such as dx or dy. In order to integrate them, we need to set up the proper limits and determine which variable is being integrated with respect to.

In the image you provided, there are two differentials, dx and dy, and two integrals, one for each. The first thing you need to do is to determine which variable is being integrated with respect to. In this case, it looks like dx is being integrated with respect to x, and dy is being integrated with respect to y.

For the first part, you are correct in setting up the dx integral from (a to x) and the dy integral from (b to y). This means that we are integrating dx as x changes from a to x, and dy as y changes from b to y. This will give us the total change in the function from (a,b) to (x,y).

For the second part, you are also correct in setting up the dx integral from (b to y) and the dy integral from (a to x). This means that we are now integrating dx as x changes from b to y, and dy as y changes from a to x. This will give us the total change in the function from (b,a) to (y,x).

I would also recommend reviewing the concept of differentials and integrals to gain a better understanding of how they work together. You can also try practicing with simpler examples to get a better grasp on the concept.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck!

What is a differential?

A differential is a mathematical concept used to represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is often denoted by dy/dx, where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

What is an easy differential question?

An easy differential question is a problem that involves finding the derivative of a function using basic differentiation rules and techniques. These types of questions typically have a straightforward solution and do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

How do I solve an easy differential question?

To solve an easy differential question, you need to first identify the function and determine the type of differentiation rule that applies. Then, use the appropriate rule to find the derivative of the function. Finally, simplify the result and check for any possible mistakes.

What are some common differentiation rules?

Some common differentiation rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and sum/difference rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of different types of functions, such as polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and more.

Can I use a calculator to solve differential questions?

Yes, there are many calculators and online tools available that can help you solve differential questions. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques in order to use these tools effectively and to check for accuracy in your solutions.