Solving Easy EM Problem Homework Statement

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em
It is a force field. The electric field is a vector field that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at any point in space. A conservative force field is one in which the work done by the force is independent of the path taken by the particle. In other words, the work done in moving a particle from one point to another is only dependent on the initial and final positions, not the path taken to get there. This is the case with electric fields, as shown by the fundamental theorem of calculus.In summary, for a time independent or static situation, it was shown that for any closed path, the integral of the electric field dotted with the differential path is equal to zero
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

For a time independant or static situation

[tex] -\int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(b) - \Phi(a) [/tex]

a) Show that for any closed path
[tex] \oint \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = 0 [/tex]

b)Using Stokes Theorem show that
[tex] \oint \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = 0 [/tex] implies [tex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = 0 [/tex]

c) [itex] -\int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(b) - \Phi(a) [/itex] was derived by integrating [itex] \vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla} \Phi [/itex]. Using Cartesian coordiants show that this implies [itex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = 0 [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

a) For any closed path the endpoints a and b are the same. So
[tex] -\int_{a}^{a} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(a) - \Phi(a) = 0[/tex]

Is that it? Just one line?? Is there more i should be considering?

b) Stokes theorem is

[tex] \int_{S} \left(\nabla \times v) \bullet da = \oint_{P} v \bullet dl [/tex]

so here we already know that
thus the right hand side is zero

[tex] \int_{S} \left(\nabla \times E) \bullet da = 0 [/tex]
ok since the integral is zero either one of two things - either the integral was over some closed surface S and/or the integrand was zero
or the curl of E is perpendicular to da

how would i prove thi formally??

c) All i do is simply take the curl on both sides of
[itex] \vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla} \Phi [/itex]
since the curl of a gradient is zero we prove that it is zero

since the proof asks to use Cartesian coords i guess i have to do something like this

[tex] - \nabla \times \left(\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial z} \right) [/tex]
and prove that the above expression is zero

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:

Homework Statement

For a time independant or static situation

[tex] -\int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(b) - \Phi(a) [/tex]

a) Show that for any closed path

b)Using Stokes Theorem show that
[tex] \oint \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = 0 [/tex] implies [tex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = 0 [/tex]

c) [itex] -\int_{a}^{b} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(b) - \Phi(a) [/itex] was derived by integrating [itex] \vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla} \Phi [/itex]. Using Cartesian coordiants show that this implies [itex] \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = 0 [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

a) For any closed path the endpoints a and b are the same. So
[tex] -\int_{a}^{a} \vec{E} \bullet d\vec{l} = \Phi(a) - \Phi(a) = 0[/tex]

Is that it? Just one line?? Is there more i should be considering?
This is correct
b) Stokes theorem is

[tex] \int_{S} \left(\nabla \times v) \bullet da = \oint_{P} v \bullet dl [/tex]

so here we already know that
thus the right hand side is zero

[tex] \int_{S} \left(\nabla \times E) \bullet da = 0 [/tex]
ok since the integral is zero either one of two things - either the integral was over some closed surface S and/or the integrand was zero
or the curl of E is perpendicular to da

Well, [tex]0=\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l}= \int_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A}\Rightarrow\int_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A}=0[/tex]

Since this is for an arbitrary surface, [tex] \nabla \times \vec{E}=0[/tex]

c) All i do is simply take the curl on both sides of
[itex] \vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla} \Phi [/itex]
since the curl of a gradient is zero we prove that it is zero

since the proof asks to use Cartesian coords i guess i have to do something like this

[tex] - \nabla \times \left(\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial z} \right) [/tex]
and prove that the above expression is zero
Yup, try doing that.

Part a is fine. All you need to know about a closed path is that teh start and end points are the same.

Part b there is only one possibility. The integral over a closed surface of a vector area is zero, but since the vector area is dotted into the curl of the electric field that implies what?

Part c have you written out [tex] - \nabla \times \left(\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial z} \right) [/tex]
in full? Try it and see what cancels.

EDIT: Beaten again. I'm making a habit of this.

cristo said:
Well, [tex]0=\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l}= \int_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A}\Rightarrow\int_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A}=0[/tex]

Since this is for an arbitrary surface, [tex] \nabla \times \vec{E}=0[/tex]

but why is the curl of E zero as a result??
i men the integral could be zero if th curl of E is perpendicular to da
or
the integral was taken over a closed region
or
the curl of E was zero

how does one imply the other??

The result follows from the fact that there is no restriction on the surface. If curlE, when integrated over any surface is zero, then it must follow that curlE = 0.

cristo said:
The result follows from the fact that there is no restriction on the surface. If curlE, when integrated over any surface is zero, then it must follow that curlE = 0.

what do u mean restriction on the surface??

He means the surface can be any surface you like. It is not a defined shape.

stunner5000pt said:
what do u mean restriction on the surface??

Note that:

[tex]\int_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A} \neq \oint_{S} (\nabla \times \vec{E}) \cdot d\vect{A}[/tex]

in general. Thus, you could choose a closed surface, but you don't have to. It can be any surface, including one that isn't closed. The only way this can be true for any surface is if the curl of E is 0.

This is strongly related to the fact that E produces a conservative force.

Last edited:

1. How can I approach solving an easy EM problem homework statement?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the relevant equations and concepts that can be used to solve the problem. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving EM problems?

Some common mistakes include not understanding the problem statement, using incorrect equations or formulas, and not paying attention to units. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.

3. How do I know which equations to use when solving an easy EM problem?

The equations used will depend on the specific problem and the given information. It is important to have a good understanding of the different equations and concepts in electromagnetism to determine the most suitable one to use.

4. Can I use the same approach to solve all easy EM problems?

No, each problem may require a different approach depending on the given information and the unknown variables. It is important to carefully analyze each problem and determine the most appropriate approach to solve it.

5. How can I check if my answer to an easy EM problem is correct?

You can double check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or by using a different method to solve the problem. It is also helpful to compare your answer to the expected result or to ask a classmate or teacher for feedback.