Mastering Factoring: How to Factor (x+3)^3 with Ease

• Thread starter rcmango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, factoring is the process of breaking down an expression into simpler parts. In this conversation, the terms "foil" and "expand" were used interchangeably to refer to the process of multiplying two expressions together. To fully expand (x+3)^3, you can use the property that (a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3. This can be applied to any expression of the form (x+y)^n. Additionally, using the "foil" method can help simplify the process.
rcmango
how to factor (x+3)^3

maybe foil after factoring?

thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Huh? It's already factored.

hmm, maybe i used the wrong terminolgy, i want to take it apart, is that possible?

is (x+3)^3 the same as (x+3)(x+3)^2

Ah, you want to expand it. (There are other synonyms too)

Yes, those two are the same; that's essentially the definition of raising something to the third power.

Factoring is the process where, for example, you start with

x^2 + 4x + 3

and end up with

(x+3)(x+1).

Last edited:
okay so to fully expand (x+3)^3

could i just take the foil of (x+3)^2 and then multiply by (x+3) again?

if so, I'm unsure how to multiply the x+3 and the foiled polynomial

(a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2
(a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3

There's a really easy trick to finding these. Expanding expressions of the form (x+y)^n can be done as follows:

First write x^n. The coefficient of the next term is equal to the current coefficient multiplied by the current exponent of x, and divided by the term number. For the coefficient of the second term, this is 1 * n / 1 = n. Decrease the exponent of x by 1, and increase the exponent of y by 1. Repeat this process until you get to y^n.

If they are of the form (x-y)^n, the signs just alternate. If you're unsure, use the property that a - b = a + (-b).

Hope that helps!

"Foil" is just a way of remembering that you must multiply each term in one factor by each term in the other.

Using "foil" on (x+3)(x+3) give x2+ 3x+ 3x+ 9= x2+ 6x+ 9. Now to multiply that by x+3 again, first multiply each part by x: x(x2+ 6x+ 9)= x3+ 6x2+ 9x, then multiply each part by 3: 3(x2+ 6x+ 9)= 3x2+ 18x+ 27, and finally add: x3+ 6x2+ 9x+ 3x2+ 18x+ 27= x3+ 9x2+ 27x+ 27.

This is not "abstract algebra"- I'm moving it to "General Math".

Last edited by a moderator:

Question 1: What is an easy factoring problem?

An easy factoring problem involves finding the factors of a given number. This means finding the numbers that can be multiplied together to get the given number as a result. For example, the factors of 10 are 1, 2, 5, and 10.

Question 2: How do I solve an easy factoring problem?

The easiest way to solve a factoring problem is to start by listing the possible factors of the given number. Then, test each factor to see if it divides evenly into the given number. The factors that do divide evenly are the answer to the problem.

Question 3: What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a number that has exactly two factors, 1 and itself. For example, 5 is a prime number because its only factors are 1 and 5. A composite number, on the other hand, has more than two factors. For example, 6 is a composite number because it has the factors 1, 2, 3, and 6.

Question 4: Can all numbers be factored easily?

No, not all numbers can be factored easily. Some numbers, such as prime numbers, can only be factored into 1 and itself, making them difficult to factor. Other numbers, such as large numbers with many factors, may require more time and effort to factor.

Question 5: How can factoring be useful in real life?

Factoring can be useful in many real-life situations, such as simplifying fractions, finding the dimensions of a rectangle given its area, or finding the least common denominator when adding fractions. It can also be used in cryptography to encode and decode messages.