1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy force/impulse question

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    We are doing this for our physics class, and they are very basic, easy questions. But it is worth a lot, and might end up being our final. (We're allowed to get help any way possible)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater
    a. force
    b. impulse
    c. both a and b
    d. neither a and b

2. Relevant equations

impulse= Ft

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it is just b, instead of c, because I don't think there is a greater force. It doesn't indicate that a greater force is used on the bigger cannon. But the longer barrel gives it more time, therefore a greater impulse, right?

Just having a brain fart. :P And the easier problems get me, because I over-analyze.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are correct. But I wouldn't say the problem was easy. It requires some conceptual thought, which you have explained well. Essentially, the longer barrel provides more time for the ball to reach greater speed (greater momentum change from the greater impulse) before it leaves the barrel.
  4. May 19, 2010 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given the way the problem is stated (or at least the way I'm interpreting it), I would have to agree with your answer. :approve:

[Edit: PhanthomJay beat me to the punch. I guess it serves me right for procrastinating my replies.]:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook