What are Some Fun and Easy Games to Program in Java?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for ideas for fun and easy games to program using Java. Suggestions include card games like poker and blackjack, as well as Mario/Sonic type games and classic board games like Bomberman, Chess, and Chinese Checkers. The person also mentions having already created a Sudoku game and is looking for something that would be enjoyable and require some thought. Additional ideas include Othello, Hearts, Spades, and Euchre, as well as the suggestion to try writing an AI player for the game of GO. The person thanks the group for their suggestions and plans to try out Euchre and Connect 4 next.
mattmns
Hello. Anybody know of any fun, and somewhat easy, games to program (I will be using Java if that matters)? I was thinking some card games, like blackjack or poker, any other ideas? To get an idea of the level of easyness I am looking for, I have made Sudoku, and Conway's Game of Life. I spent the last day or so making Sudoku and it prints a board, asks the user for a value and spot, replaces the spot with the new value, and prints the board again, also the program can check to see if a Sudoku board has a correct solution. I am mostly wanting something that would be fun and take some thought.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm guessing it will player vs CPU rather than player vs player which kind of limits your choices because for some games (like chess) designing the AI would be very hard. I think definitely Poker is a nice one. You could also do a Mario/Sonic type of game.

BOMBERMAN, CHESS would be the primary too
starcraft, 9 man's something, chinese checkers
hearts, spades,euchre.

othello is probably the easiest.

How about Connect 4. The goal of the game is to line up 4 of the same color chips (Horizontally, Vertically or Diagonally). If you are doing it text based you could use X and O. The board could be 10x10 and you would need to parse the board each time to see if there are 4 chips next to each other.

If you want a really hard challenge write an AI player for GO.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will try out Euchre and Connect 4 next, and then maybe try the others. Thanks!

Minesweeper

1. What are some examples of easy/fun games to program?

Some examples of easy/fun games to program are tic-tac-toe, hangman, and snake.

2. What programming language is best for creating easy/fun games?

The best programming language for creating easy/fun games depends on personal preference and the specific game being developed. However, some popular options include Java, Python, and JavaScript.

3. Do I need advanced coding skills to create easy/fun games?

No, you do not need advanced coding skills to create easy/fun games. Basic knowledge of programming concepts and a willingness to learn are sufficient.

4. How long does it take to program an easy/fun game?

The time it takes to program an easy/fun game can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the game and the programmer's skill level. Simple games can be created in a few hours, while more advanced games may take weeks or even months.

5. Can I make money from creating easy/fun games?

Yes, it is possible to make money from creating easy/fun games. You can monetize your games through advertisements, in-app purchases, or selling the game itself. However, success and profitability will depend on the quality and popularity of your game.