Calculating Net Work on a Moving Cargo Canister: Easy Homework Problem 1

In summary, the problem discussed involves finding the net work done on a cargo canister by three forces of magnitudes 2.28 N, 4.54 N, and 8.24 N, with angles of 51.6° and 35.8°. The correct method involves finding the net force and using the formula W = force * distance. One person attempted to solve the problem by finding the components of each force, adding them up, and using the Pythagorean theorem, but this method was incorrect. Another person suggested using a diagram to find the net force, which was then confirmed to be the correct approach. The final answer was found to be 5.86 J.
MFlood7356
1. Figure 7-30 shows an overhead view of three horizontal forces acting on a cargo canister that was initially stationary but that now moves across a frictionless floor. The force magnitudes are F1 = 2.28 N, F2 = 4.54 N, and F3 = 8.24 N, and the indicated angles are θ2 = 51.6° and θ3 = 35.8°. What is the net work done on the canister by the three forces during the first 2.70 m of displacement?

2. W=Fdcostheta
Wnet=W1+W2+w3

3. I really thought this was an extremely easy problem to do but apparently not. Here's my attempt. Could someone please tell me what I did wrong?

W1=(2.28)(2.70)cos0=-6.156J
W2=(4.54)(2.70)cos51.6=-7.614J
W3=(8.24)(2.70)cos35.8=18.045J
Wnet=(18.045)+(-6.156)+(-7.614)= 4.28J

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could post or at least explain the diagram. It is a bit easier to find the resultant (net) force: [itex]\sum \vec F_i = \vec F_{net}[/itex] and then use:

[tex]W = \vec F_{net} \cdot \vec d[/tex]

AM

Last edited:
Here's a diagram: http://imgur.com/DAJ8G.gif

So would I find the magnitude of the components add them up then multiply that by the distance?

MFlood7356 said:
Here's a diagram: http://imgur.com/DAJ8G.gif

So would I find the magnitude of the components add them up then multiply that by the distance?
Well, you would find the magnitude of the net force by adding up the force components. Then use work = force*distance.

Your earlier attempt (shown in post #1) assumed the object moved in the +x direction, which isn't necessarily true.

so i would find the y and x components for each of the forces then add them up and use Pythagorean theorem then multiply that by the distance?

For the angle of F2 should it be 270-51.6=218.4 degrees and should angle of F1 be 180 degrees?

I got 5.86 J does that sound right?

I don't know, I haven't worked through the problem myself and you didn't show your work. So I really can't say at this point ... but you could remedy the situation :wink:

What is an "Easy Homework Problem"?

An "Easy Homework Problem" is a question or task given to students as part of their homework that is considered to be relatively simple and straightforward to solve compared to other problems.

Why do teachers assign "Easy Homework Problems"?

Teachers assign "Easy Homework Problems" to help students practice and reinforce the concepts they have learned in class. These problems are also used to build students' confidence and encourage them to continue learning.

How should I approach an "Easy Homework Problem"?

It is important to read the problem carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, use any notes or resources given by the teacher to solve the problem step by step. It is also helpful to check your work and make sure your answer makes sense.

Can I skip an "Easy Homework Problem" if I already understand the concept?

No, it is not recommended to skip any homework problems, even if they are considered easy. Completing all assigned work will help reinforce the concepts and ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the material.

What should I do if I am struggling with an "Easy Homework Problem"?

If you are struggling with an "Easy Homework Problem", it is important to ask for help from your teacher or a classmate. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller steps or using different methods to solve it. Don't be afraid to seek assistance and clarification to ensure you understand the concept.