1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy intensity question

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    I have been given this question: What is the sound intensity 2 metres from a speaker which is producing a sound at 100 watts of power?

I know the equation is I=P/A but i dont know if "A" stands for amplitude or area. Some books/sites say amplitude and some say area. But if it is area...I dont actually have an area...just a distance. So...what do I do??

Thanks everyone for your help in advanced!

-tash

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    Sometimes one assumes the speaker is a source for sound waves that travel radially outward *in all directions*. Then you can visualize a spherical shell of the advancing sound waves moving outward; the distance from the speaker is the radius of this sphere, whose area you can now determine (see your texts). If you instead consider the speaker as a source of sound that only moves in a hemisphere outward, then you'll want half the previous area (pretending that no sound goes behind the speaker, only in front). Intensity is a "density" of sound, as the finite amount of energy in the waves spreads out over a larger and larger area...I=Power/Area.

4. Oct 19, 2007 #3
    ohhhhh so I would use Pie X R^2 with r as 2m to find the area!!!
    omg thank you soooo much!!!

tash

5. Oct 19, 2007 #4
    actually, not quite... that's the formula for the area of a circle, yes??
    Bear in mind that what you actually have is a hemisphere/sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?