Maximum Force for Block Stability with Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter jun9008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, the question asks for the largest force that can be applied to the large block without causing the small block to slide off. The system consists of two blocks, with masses of 10kg and 20kg, and coefficients of static and kinetic friction of 0.2 and 0.1 respectively. Applying a force equal to the maximum static friction, 20N, would not be enough to prevent the small block from sliding. Taking into account inertia and the net force of 60N, the required force to prevent sliding would be 90N.
jun9008

Homework Statement

What is the largest force F that can be applied to the large block such that the small block doesn't slide off.

There are two blocks of M1=10kg, M2=20kg. M1 is on top of M2, M2 is on top of the table.
the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the two blocks, and also between the large block and the table are [tex]\mu[/tex]s=.2, [tex]\mu[/tex]k=.1 respectively. let g=10m/s^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i thought that simply that the force should be applied to where the force of friction would be the max of static friction, so F=-Ff=.2(10kg)(10m/s^2)= 20N

It seems wrong, but I can't figure out what is.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force is applied to the LARGE (20 kg) block, not the SMALL (10 kg) block. You need to consider inertia.

wow shoot me in the head, i am retarded.
so 20N/10kg=2m/s^2, where net force for the whole system is 60n. Then at kinetic friction has to total 30N, therefore the required force is 90N.
And there's the answer. Thanks for the heads-up haha. I seriously got to learn how to read.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. It is caused by microscopic imperfections on the surfaces that interact and resist the motion.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction only occurs when two surfaces are in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and trying to move relative to each other. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction between two surfaces depends on the nature of the surfaces (such as their material and texture), the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed of relative motion between the surfaces.

4. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces to reduce the interaction between the microscopic imperfections. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact can also decrease kinetic friction.

5. What is the relationship between kinetic friction and force?

Kinetic friction is a type of force that opposes the motion of two surfaces. The force of kinetic friction is directly proportional to the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and also depends on the nature of the surfaces and the speed of motion.