1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Laplace Transform

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Apply the definition in (1) to find directly the Laplace transforms of the functions described (by formula or graph).
    1) f(t)=t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seems pretty easy... Question is, I don't understand the directions exactly.. Am I allowed to use the tables or do I have to solve the transform? Anyway this is how I solved, but i got stuck..
    $$\mathcal{L}(f(t))=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)dt=\int_0^{\infty}te^{-st}dt$$
    Then using an integration by parts, u=t and dv=e-stdt, I get:
    $$\frac{-te^{st}}{s}\bigg|_0^{\infty}-\int_0^{\infty}\frac{-e^{st}}{s}dt=\left(\frac{-te^{st}}{s}-\frac{e^{s}t^{s}}{s^{2}}\right)\bigg|_0^{\infty}$$
    Is that right up to there and what do I do after?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you solve it by integrating by parts and you are starting with right parts. But it goes badly after that. How did ##e^{-st}## turn into ##e^{st}##? And I have no idea how you got some of the other stuff.

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    Yes I messed up, it should be u= t, du=dt; ##dv=e^{-st}dt##, ##v=\frac{-e^-st}{s}## Which leads to:
    $$\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\int\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}dt=\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$

Right?

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On your last line you have dropped the minus sign in the ##e^{-st}##. And check that antiderivative in red.

[Edit] Took too long to type it, others beat me to it.

6. Nov 18, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks much better. Now you evaluate it between 0 and infinity. It's going to involve thinking about limits. Take s>0.

7. Nov 18, 2013 #6
    $$\lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$
    It seems like both would go to 0... Maybe I'm not seeing something correctly

8. Nov 18, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, they both go to 0. That ##te^{-st}## goes to zero might take a little justification, but if you know why, that's fine. Now you have to take the limit as t->0 and take the difference.

9. Nov 18, 2013 #8
    ##te^{-st}## can be written as ##\frac{t}{e^{st}}## and then you can use L'Hopitals since you get ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## and end up with ##\frac{1}{se^{st}}=0##

AHHH now I see, I forgot you have to evaluate at 0 also...
    So the first fraction goes to 0 and the second one will be e-s(0)=1 so you end up with: ##\frac{1}{s^{2}}##

Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted