1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy Laplace

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just want to verify that I am dong this correctly and if not, where my misconceptions are. I keep getting a different answer so I am going to go through this step by step:

After a some steps in a controls problem, I end up with a function in the Laplace domain:

[tex]\Theta(s) = \frac{12}{\frac{6}{5}s^2 +96}\qquad(1)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

From table, I know that

[tex]\mathcal L[Be^{-at}\sin(\omega t)]=\frac{B\omega}{(s+a)^2 + \omega^2}\qquad(2)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So the idea is to make my equation (1) take the form of the known equation (2):

First, I factored the denominator so that s2 has a coefficient of 1:

[tex]\frac{12}{\frac{6}{5}s^2 +96}=\frac{1}{\frac{6}{5}}\cdot \frac{12}{s^2+80}[/tex]

Comparing the denominators of each we have:

[tex](s+a)^2 + \omega^2 = s^2 +80[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow s^2 + 2as + a^2 + \omega^2 =s^2 +80[/tex]

[tex]\therefore a = 0 \qquad\qquad \omega^2 = 80[/tex]

So we now have to compare the numerators:

[tex]12 = B*\omega[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow B = \frac{12}{\omega}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow B=\frac{12}{\sqrt{80}}[/tex]

Thus, we can write:

[tex]\Theta(s) =\frac{5}{6}\cdot\frac{(\frac{12}{\sqrt{80}})*\sqrt{80}}{(s+0)^2+ \sqrt{80}^2}[/tex]

So, in the time domain, we have:

[tex]\mathcal L^{-1} [\Theta(s)]=\theta(t) = \frac{10}{\sqrt{80}}\cdot\sin(\sqrt{80}t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\sin(4\sqrt5 t)[/tex]

I have gotten this result a couple of times, so I think I am correct, but my friend got something a little different.

Are there any blatant errors I am making?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I used Maxima to find the Laplace transform of sqrt(5)*sin(4*sqrt(5)*t)/2. I got 10/(s^2+80). As that is the same function you started out with, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.
  4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Okie dokie! Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook