Existence of Solutions for Linear Equations with Integer Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of two integers, x and y, such that their sum is divisible by a common divisor, d, for given integers a, b, and c. The conversation also highlights the use of the Extended Euclidean Algorithm to find x and y in the equation ax + by = gcd(a,b).
scottstapp

Homework Statement

I just have a general question.

Suppose a,b and c are integers with a and b not both 0. There exists d=gcd(a,b) and ax+by=c.
From this I know that d|a and d|b but how do I know that there exists x,y such that d|(ax+by) where ax+by does not equal d and d|c ?

I cannot simply state that because d|ax and d|by, it must divide their sum. Or can I?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If d|a and d|b, then d|(ax + by) for all integers x and y. This is very easy to see in different notation: If d|a and d|b, then a = a'd and b = b'd and ax + by = a'dx+b'dy = d(a'x+b'd).

If d|(ax +by) and ax+by=c, then d|c obviously enough.

However, it is possible that d = c. In fact, the Extended Euclidean Algorithm will produce an x and y such that ax + by = gcd(a,b).

Thanks owlpride, that's what I was thinking but I just needed some reassurance.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic expression that represents a straight line on a graph. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any terms on the same side as the variable. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side and all constants on the other side of the equation.

3. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have infinite solutions if the equation represents a line. This means that any value of the variable will make the equation true. However, some linear equations may have no solution if they represent parallel lines that never intersect.

4. What is the difference between a linear equation and a quadratic equation?

A linear equation involves only one variable and has a degree of 1, while a quadratic equation involves two variables and has a degree of 2. This means that a linear equation represents a straight line, while a quadratic equation represents a parabola.

5. How are linear equations used in real life?

Linear equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of a gym membership based on the number of months, determining the rate of change in stock prices, and predicting the growth of a population over time. They can also be used to solve problems involving distance, speed, and time, as well as in engineering and science to model relationships between variables.