1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy Linear Equation question

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just have a general question.

Suppose a,b and c are integers with a and b not both 0. There exists d=gcd(a,b) and ax+by=c.
    From this I know that d|a and d|b but how do I know that there exists x,y such that d|(ax+by) where ax+by does not equal d and d|c ?

I cannot simply state that because d|ax and d|by, it must divide their sum. Or can I?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    If d|a and d|b, then d|(ax + by) for all integers x and y. This is very easy to see in different notation: If d|a and d|b, then a = a'd and b = b'd and ax + by = a'dx+b'dy = d(a'x+b'd).

If d|(ax +by) and ax+by=c, then d|c obviously enough.

However, it is possible that d = c. In fact, the Extended Euclidean Algorithm will produce an x and y such that ax + by = gcd(a,b).

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    Thanks owlpride, that's what I was thinking but I just needed some reassurance.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook