Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy majors annoy me

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Some days I really do hope karma exists and all my hard work will result in at least a decent paying job that I enjoy. On the other hand, what the hell is with these easy majors? I know people in various majors outside of the hard sciences/engineers and from what they say, they must have done more work (and of the same intellectual rigor) back in elementary school. How can they really be learning anything in the first place? Whenever they accidently run into an actual course they're required to think with, it seems like they just become braindead. Some of the stories ive heard from professors and other grad students about students they've taught amazes me.

Teachers are the WORST. I would be terrified if most the teaching majors were told to educate a child of mine past the 1st grade because I think that's as far as their knowledge would permit them to go. Their courses, at least at my university, have final projects that come down to drawing pictures or making a diorama.

I truely do hope karma exists and playing around in college for 4 years doesnt translate into $80,000 a year jobs....

[/cyrus]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My dad wouldn't let me go into any hard science and insisted on me getting my degree in Business Management. I was lucky enough to get hired by AT&T and I bidded on a job in the new field of data for long distance networks. That catapulted me into a high 6 figure income.

It has now left me broke. I guess what goes around does come around.

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hows that. medical bills? You do seem to hurt yourself plenty...

5. Feb 19, 2010 #4

Evo

No, complex data networks have turned into a commodity. Price is more valuable than quality. No one cares anymore if it's the best, if it works most of the time, and even if the bandwidth is insufficient, so what, their workers can just wait. People have come to accept mediocre performance as normal, not realizing it is a lack of funding by management.

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5
    That's a fair bit of hyperbole. That said, I think a lot of people who know what it's like to spend 100 hours a week racking your brain on seemingly unsolvable physics problems have had thoughts like that. It's easy to (for me) feel like your life is just worthless when you are dead tired and faced with daunting problems that seem to go on forever. Edit: almost forgot about sometimes being rewarded for your efforts with mind blowingly difficult exams. And then to think what other people are doing with their life. Of course it's what you signed up for so it's really not a reasonable or useful line of thought.

But yes there have been moments in my life when I have thought "I can't believe they let these people call their degree a bachelor of science."

7. Feb 19, 2010 #6
    To study and learn how the world works is priceless and for everything else there is mastercard.

8. Feb 19, 2010 #7
    What exactly is by your definition an "Easy Major" ? Just curious. It really bothers me when I hear people go and tout their particular major against another as being somehow superior. It screams pretentiousness.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  9. Feb 19, 2010 #8
    In a word, communications. There is of course a rather continuous distribution. But basically anything that isn't physics, chemistry, mathematics, computer science, engineering. Biology can be, but can also vary a fair amount in difficulty. The majors where you fail if you don't bust your hind end day in and day out.

I'm sure there's some I missed don't get mad at me obviously this is pretty subjective.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. Feb 19, 2010 #9
    They are the ones paying for their education just like you are paying for yours, why does it matter what they go into? As long as they are happy with what they are doing you have no right to look down upon them.

11. Feb 19, 2010 #10
    Yep, us non science majors just phone it in every semester. I might as well have had my degree made with crayon.

12. Feb 19, 2010 #11
    Yep no doubt. I just get cranky sometimes.

13. Feb 19, 2010 #12
    In what respect do we have no "right?" In the United States, we have the right to look down upon whomever we want. I'm not sure where you live, though.

14. Feb 19, 2010 #13
    Lol the definitions of the word "right" does not need to be a point of contentions in this thread, there is enough controversy in this topic to last forever without going into semantics.

15. Feb 19, 2010 #14

Evo

Actually in the US, we believe that all men are created equal, we don't look down upon others. Where do you live?

16. Feb 19, 2010 #15
    but a lot of people do choose a career for the money rather than what makes them happy

17. Feb 19, 2010 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Huh? What? We do? I know we say that we do, but...really. C'mon...

18. Feb 19, 2010 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Easy as in easy. There's some universities where being a history major is a joke, some where it's hard as hell. Typically one thinks of biology as a hard science but at my university it's fairly simple from what I hear. The math department is a JOKE. The department makes the major easy or hard in my opinion.

I can look down on anyone I want. People can look down on me if they want. The best part is we can all complain without having to be told we have the right to or not.

Maybe it's just how the world and how education works. It feels like the science types are just in the background making the world run and doing the actual work while the "others" as I shall so belittlingly refer to them are doing all the "collegy" stuff and making the policies (at universities and beyond). Now, let's just rid ourself of the trivial notion that "if you're happy that's all that matters" because no, that's not true considering we don't get to live in a buble and are only effected by our own actions. Why in the world do we get the short end of the stick...

Then again maybe I'm annoyed at the students at my university. I've had a fairly decent bunch of students so far but everyone knows that the majority seem to be.... so bad.... and the worst part is that we will actually have to interact with these people in the real world! Liberal arts majors at my university, again, are the worst. Almost disgustingly bad. Then you have the pre-meds who just want A's and dont care about being educated, they just want their 4.0 so they can get into some med school and rack up $200k worth of debt so they can become a rich doctor some day. I'm going to be treated/have my kids taught by these people? :( SAD FACE.

Oh well, back to feeling superior to the "others".

19. Feb 19, 2010 #18

Evo

Yeah, I was grasping at straws there.

20. Feb 19, 2010 #19
    World will never be fair particularly when equality comes in.

21. Feb 19, 2010 #20
    hmm... so what percentage of mathematicians and physics majors end up working for the government just like the education majors?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook