Quick Math Solution: Solve the Easy Problem Now!

• Thread starter Lorens
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "II" in a mathematical context and the use of unconventional notation in dealing with larger circuits. It is suggested that "II" represents the total resistance by adding the parallel branches of resistances in a circuit. A formula for calculating the total resistance is also provided.
Lorens
Easy math problem ...

20f7e72d4ca25c3311d1aaa6138b34cd.png

My question is just what do II means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Me thinketh that it means that you get the total resistance by adding the two parallel branches of resistances. In the one branch are two resistors in series (R2,R3), in the other branch a single resistor (R4). It is your teacher's own private unconventional notation.

This notation comes in handy if you have to deal with larger circuits and I've seen and used it myself before as well.

The total resistance R for two parallel resistors R1 and R2 can be written as:

[tex]R=(R_1 \parallel R_2)=\frac{R_1\,R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:

1. What is the easiest way to solve a math problem?

The easiest way to solve a math problem is by breaking it down into smaller, manageable steps. Start by identifying what the problem is asking and then gather all the necessary information. Next, use the appropriate formula or method to solve the problem, making sure to show all work and double check your answer.

2. How do I know which formula or method to use?

The best way to determine which formula or method to use is by carefully reading the problem and understanding what type of problem it is. Is it a basic arithmetic problem, a geometry problem, or an algebraic equation? By identifying the type of problem, you can then choose the appropriate formula or method to solve it.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you get stuck on a math problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try working backwards from the answer or breaking the problem down into smaller parts. If you still can't solve it, ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct?

The best way to check if your answer is correct is by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it makes sense. You can also use a calculator or online tool to double check your calculations. If you have access to the answer key, you can compare your answer to the correct one.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

It depends on the type of problem and the instructions given. Some math problems may specifically state that a calculator is not allowed, while others may require the use of a scientific or graphing calculator. If no instructions are given, it is generally safe to use a calculator, but make sure to show all work and understand the steps involved in solving the problem.