1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Math question

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    Find the points where each of the following lines intersects the x and y axes,

x=6,y=1+6t

for some reason I don't know how to find the point. If I graph it I understand but I can't work it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2
    When you have x = 6, the x-intercept is automatically 6, because x = 6 is just a vertical line, so when y is 0, x must be 6. There is no y-intercept because the line never crosses the y-axis, this is because x cannot = 0.

What is the t supposed to be in y = 1+6t? A constant (number)? If 't' is a constant then you basically use the same idea.

4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Ok I get everything from the beginning, and I know I'm retarded I should have understood that. What is making me confused is the y=1+6t part.

that comes from the vector equation r=(6,1)+t(0,6)

Why do you even need to know the y=1+6t part? How do you check from that? I originaly thought you needed to set x or y to zero.....

BTW thanks

5. Jan 26, 2006 #4
    ok I completely Understand it now....But your explanation aswell as mine is purely based on Logical reasoning. Don't you have to set y=0 to find an x intercept?

6. Jan 26, 2006 #5
    :wink: got it :D

7. Jan 27, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your original post: "Find the points where each of the following lines intersects the x and y axes" implies two different lines. Later you told us this was from r=(6,1)+t(0,6) which is a single line!
    r= (6,1)+ t(0, 6) is the same as the parametric equations x= 6, y= 1+ 6t.

Since x is always 6, that line does not cross the y-axis. Of course, it crosses the x-axis at (6, 0).

In general, if you have parametric equations x= a+ bt, y= c+ dt, you find the x-intersept by setting y= 0, solve for t and use that value of t to find x. To find the y-intersept do the opposite: set x= 0, solve that equation for t and use that value of t to find y.

8. Jan 27, 2006 #7
    i just want to say. HallsoftIvy is a very patient and active tutor.

good work!

9. Jan 27, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who only screams and tears his hair occaisionally.

The real problem with the internet is that you can't use the two-by-four across the head and shoulders method!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?