Find Intersection of x=6,y=1+6t with X & Y Axes

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points where a given line intersects the x and y axes, with the line represented by the parametric equations x=6, y=1+6t. It is explained that when x=6, the x-intercept is automatically 6, and there is no y-intercept because the line does not cross the y-axis. The concept of parametric equations is also discussed, with the reminder to set y=0 to find the x-intercept and x=0 to find the y-intercept. The speaker also expresses gratitude for the explanation and compliments the patience and helpfulness of the tutor.
thomasrules
Find the points where each of the following lines intersects the x and y axes,

x=6,y=1+6t

for some reason I don't know how to find the point. If I graph it I understand but I can't work it out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When you have x = 6, the x-intercept is automatically 6, because x = 6 is just a vertical line, so when y is 0, x must be 6. There is no y-intercept because the line never crosses the y-axis, this is because x cannot = 0.

What is the t supposed to be in y = 1+6t? A constant (number)? If 't' is a constant then you basically use the same idea.

mattmns said:
What is the t supposed to be in y = 1+6t? A constant (number)? If 't' is a constant then you basically use the same idea.

Ok I get everything from the beginning, and I know I'm retarded I should have understood that. What is making me confused is the y=1+6t part.

that comes from the vector equation r=(6,1)+t(0,6)

Why do you even need to know the y=1+6t part? How do you check from that? I originaly thought you needed to set x or y to zero...

BTW thanks

ok I completely Understand it now...But your explanation as well as mine is purely based on Logical reasoning. Don't you have to set y=0 to find an x intercept?

:wink: got it :D

Your original post: "Find the points where each of the following lines intersects the x and y axes" implies two different lines. Later you told us this was from r=(6,1)+t(0,6) which is a single line!
r= (6,1)+ t(0, 6) is the same as the parametric equations x= 6, y= 1+ 6t.

Since x is always 6, that line does not cross the y-axis. Of course, it crosses the x-axis at (6, 0).

In general, if you have parametric equations x= a+ bt, y= c+ dt, you find the x-intersept by setting y= 0, solve for t and use that value of t to find x. To find the y-intersept do the opposite: set x= 0, solve that equation for t and use that value of t to find y.

i just want to say. HallsoftIvy is a very patient and active tutor.

good work!

Who only screams and tears his hair occaisionally.

The real problem with the internet is that you can't use the two-by-four across the head and shoulders method!

1. What is the intersection of the line x=6 with the x-axis?

The intersection of the line x=6 with the x-axis is the point (6,0).

2. What is the intersection of the line y=1+6t with the x-axis?

The intersection of the line y=1+6t with the x-axis does not exist, as this line is parallel to the x-axis.

3. What is the intersection of the line x=6 with the y-axis?

The intersection of the line x=6 with the y-axis is not a single point, as this line is parallel to the y-axis. However, any point with an x-coordinate of 6 lies on this line.

4. What is the intersection of the line y=1+6t with the y-axis?

The intersection of the line y=1+6t with the y-axis is the point (0,1).

5. How do you find the intersection point of a line with the x and y axes?

To find the intersection point of a line with the x-axis, set the y-coordinate of the line equal to 0 and solve for the x-coordinate. To find the intersection point with the y-axis, set the x-coordinate of the line equal to 0 and solve for the y-coordinate.