1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy optimization

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A right circular cylinder in inscribed in a cone with height 10 and base radius 3. Find the largest possible voluem of such a cylinder.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V=\pi*r^2*h[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I used similar triangles of the cone and cylinder to obtain h=(10/3)r
    I substituted that in for h and I'm not sure where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    Volume or surface area? What level of calculus is this? Were you trying to give the volume of a cone or of the cylinder? I would solve the problem with calculus of variations by minimizing the integral of the surface area, but that is something that requires differential equations.

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3
    Calc 1, we are trying to maximize the volume of a cyclinder inside a cone with the given information.

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look more closely at your similar triangles. You have a large triangle (the entire cone) and a small triangle (the area inside the cone above the cylinder). If the cylinder has height h and radius r, then similar triangles gives (10-h)/r= 10/3 or 10-h= (10/3)r so h= 10- (10/3)r= 10(1- r/3). Putting that into [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex] gives [itex]V= 10\pi (r^2- r^3/3)[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to r and set the derivative equal to 0.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?