1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy physics problem, need help finding forumula

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    I have included a picture.

Question:
    What is the force on each wire if B = 1.656T, i = 10A, L1 = 7cm and L2 = 14cm?

Now, I have checked my physics book, and the equation I have found is
    F_12 = mu_0*L*I1*I2/(2*pi*D)

where D is the distance between the two wires, and L is the length of one wire.

However, I tried that formula in the computer, and it doesn't work. I let L =L2 (m), D=L1 (m), I have tried I1=10 and I2=+/- 10...but it didn't work.

I'm thinking there is another round about way to do this, but I don't know what. CAn someone lend me a hand?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    Hey

Ok, the formula is right, you got all the information right under your nose. You're just interpreting wrong.

We know that the wires, lets denote them A and B, are going to have equal and opposite forces.

The equation is F_BA = I_B*L X(cross) B

F_BA = I_B*L * mu_0*I_A/(2*pi*D)
    Ok, well, your B is already given to you, which you can substitute for the mu_0*I_A/(2*pi*D).

Let I_B = current, and your L = L2 and that should do the trick.

Well

4. Sep 13, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you include the external magnetic field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?