Solving an Easy Physics Problem: Work Done on a Truck (9120 kg)

• Thread starter jabbie3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves finding the total work done on a truck by calculating the difference in its initial and final kinetic energies. The correct approach is to calculate the initial and final kinetic energies separately and then find the difference between them.
jabbie3
"Easy" physics problem?

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 9120 kg is traveling along a level road at an initial speed of 28.8 m/s and then slows to a final speed of 13.8 m/s. Find the total work done on the truck.

Homework Equations

W=1/2*mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

W=1/2*(9120)*(13.8-28.2)2

this was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org

I agree that kinetic energy is the right approach.
Find the KE initially. Find the KE after it slows down. Take the difference. Note that the truck loses energy, so it must be doing work on the road or negative work is done on it.

Work is not the kinetic energy, but rather the change in kinetic energy.

Rather than trying to combine the initial and final velocities into a difference of velocities, calculate the initial kinetic energy in its entirety, and do the same for the final kinetic energy. Once you have those, find the difference.

1. What is the definition of an "easy" physics problem?

An easy physics problem is one that can be solved using basic principles and equations, without the need for complex calculations or advanced knowledge.

2. How do I determine the difficulty level of a physics problem?

The difficulty level of a physics problem can be determined by considering the complexity of the concepts involved, the amount of information provided, and the level of mathematical calculations required.

3. Can an easy physics problem still be challenging?

Yes, an easy physics problem can still be challenging if it requires creative thinking or if there are multiple steps involved in the solution process.

4. Are there any tips for solving easy physics problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving easy physics problems more efficiently include carefully reading the problem, drawing diagrams or visual aids, and breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving easy physics problems?

To improve your skills in solving easy physics problems, it is helpful to regularly practice with a variety of problems, seek help or guidance when needed, and review and understand the underlying concepts and equations involved.