How Do You Calculate the Average Speed for a Round Trip?

• Thread starter mbayabo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question asks to calculate the average speed of a car for a round trip, given that it travels at an average speed of 42 km/h and 52 km/h on the same road. There is no information provided about the distance or time taken, so it's not possible to accurately solve the problem.
mbayabo
A car travels along a certain road at an average speed of 42 km/h, and returns along the same road at an average speed of 52 km/h. Calculate the average speed for the round trip, to within 0.1 km/h.

i have no clue. I'm trying to help a friend with general Physics homework (i've taken physics with calc) but i can't get this very simple question. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread should be in the homework sub-forum.

Anyway, how long does it take for the car to travel to a destination a distance [itex]x[/itex] away?
How long does it take to get back?

that wasnt given so idk.

It doesn't matter what x is, it should come out the same since we are talking about ratios.

ok so how do u get it?

If its the same distance, then you just need an average of 42 and 52.

42+52=94

94/2= 47km/h

it's not it. we've tried that. the question is weird. =/

mbayabo said:
A car travels along a certain road at an average speed of 42 km/h, and returns along the same road at an average speed of 52 km/h. Calculate the average speed for the round trip, to within 0.1 km/h.

Hmm, well if that's the EXACT wording of the question, I have no idea. Sorry.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions in the natural world.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

3. What does the law of conservation of energy state?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

5. How do forces affect the motion of an object?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. They can also cause an object to remain at rest if the forces are balanced.