Solve Easy Physics Question: Height of Freely Falling Object in 1.10s over 26.0m

• Thread starter blindleaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to solve this problem, you need to find the average speed during the last 26m of the object's fall and equate it to two different values using the given time and formulas. This will allow you to solve for the total time of the fall and ultimately the initial height of the object.
blindleaf
A certain freely failing object requires 1.10 s to travel the last 26.0 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

its a homework problem that i can't seem to crack, seems easy but i just started physics and I'm stuck, can someone give me a push in the right direction, maybe get me a basis on where to go with this problem and how to complete it? thanks,the help is greatly appreciated. :smile:

-ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways to attack this problem. Don't be afraid to just jump in with whatever you know, even if you don't see how it will lead to an answer.

Here's one approach. Call the time it takes to fall from its starting point to 26m T_1. Now you know it takes a total time of T_1 + 1.10 s to complete the trip. Figure out the average speed it must be falling during that last 26m. Realize the the initial and final speeds (for that interval) are: Vi = g(T_1) & Vf = g(T_1 + 1.1).

Now it's your turn. Play around with this until you figure it out. (See if you can figure out T_1, and thus the total time it takes to fall.)

i must be a complete moron or not in the physics mode yet, but i still can't really figure out this problem. I'm probably getting stuck on something simple, but could someone give me another hint on how to get this problem done? its driving me nuts. :bugeye: thanks

Here's another hint: Find the average speed during that 26m distance. Do it two ways:
(1) Using the information given.
(2) Using the formulas I gave in terms of T_1.

Set those two equal and solve for T_1.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to explain the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe behaves at a fundamental level.

2. What is an easy physics question?

An easy physics question is one that can be answered using basic concepts and principles of physics without requiring complex calculations or knowledge of advanced theories. It may also be a question that has a straightforward answer and does not involve multiple steps or variables.

3. How do I solve physics problems?

The key to solving physics problems is to understand the underlying principles and concepts involved. First, identify the given information and what the question is asking for. Then, use equations and formulas that relate to the given information to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer for accuracy and units.

4. Is physics difficult to learn?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but it can also be fascinating and rewarding. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand the fundamental principles of physics. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills to excel in physics.

5. How is physics relevant to everyday life?

Physics is all around us and affects many aspects of our daily lives, from the technology we use to the laws of motion that govern our movements. Understanding physics can help us make sense of the world and make informed decisions in areas such as energy consumption, transportation, and healthcare.