1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy physics question i'm sure

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    A certain freely failing object requires 1.10 s to travel the last 26.0 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

its a homework problem that i cant seem to crack, seems easy but i just started physics and i'm stuck, can someone give me a push in the right direction, maybe get me a basis on where to go with this problem and how to complete it? thanks,the help is greatly appreciated. :smile:

-ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There are several ways to attack this problem. Don't be afraid to just jump in with whatever you know, even if you don't see how it will lead to an answer.

Here's one approach. Call the time it takes to fall from its starting point to 26m T_1. Now you know it takes a total time of T_1 + 1.10 s to complete the trip. Figure out the average speed it must be falling during that last 26m. Realize the the initial and final speeds (for that interval) are: Vi = g(T_1) & Vf = g(T_1 + 1.1).

Now it's your turn. Play around with this until you figure it out. (See if you can figure out T_1, and thus the total time it takes to fall.)

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    i must be a complete moron or not in the physics mode yet, but i still can't really figure out this problem. I'm probably getting stuck on something simple, but could someone give me another hint on how to get this problem done? its driving me nuts. :bugeye: thanks :surprised

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here's another hint: Find the average speed during that 26m distance. Do it two ways:
    (1) Using the information given.
    (2) Using the formulas I gave in terms of T_1.

Set those two equal and solve for T_1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?