Velocity of Thrown Ball: 2.0m/s - Physics Q&A

• Thread starter ThomasMagnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the ball thrown up with a velocity of 2.0m/s will return to the hand with a final velocity of -2.0m/s after pausing at the peak and changing direction. Its initial and final velocities would be equal at -2.0m/s. This is due to its acceleration of -9.80 m/s(squared) during its fall.
ThomasMagnus
If I was to throw a ball up in the air at a velocity of 2.0m/s, would it come down at the same rate?

For example, after the ball pauses for that split second and then turns downward, would it be going at -2.0m/s?

I know it would be accelerating at -9.80 m/s(squared) , but would it's initial or final velocity be equal to -2.0m/s?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasMagnus said:
If I was to throw a ball up in the air at a velocity of 2.0m/s, would it come down at the same rate?

For example, after the ball pauses for that split second and then turns downward, would it be going at -2.0m/s?

I know it would be accelerating at -9.80 m/s(squared) , but would its initial or final velocity be equal to -2.0m/s?

Thanks!

At the split second the ball reaches the top and then starts to fall again its velocity would be zero. It would continue to accelerate back to its initial velocity at the point of release.

So if its initial release velocity was 2 m/s it would travel up until it stopped and changed direction and return to your hand with a final velocity of -2 m/s (note the sign change due to velocity being a vector, but the magnitude is the same - neglecting any losses).

CS

1. What is the velocity of the thrown ball at 2.0m/s?

The velocity of the thrown ball is 2.0 meters per second.

2. How is the velocity of a thrown ball calculated?

The velocity of a thrown ball can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its velocity?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its velocity. A heavier ball will have a lower velocity compared to a lighter ball thrown with the same force.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of a thrown ball?

Some factors that can affect the velocity of a thrown ball include the force applied to the ball, the angle at which the ball is thrown, air resistance, and the mass of the ball.

5. How does velocity affect the distance a thrown ball will travel?

The velocity of a thrown ball directly affects the distance it will travel. The higher the velocity, the farther the ball will travel, assuming all other factors remain constant.