Projectile Range: Initial Speed, Gravity, Mass, Angle & Volume

• Thread starter shinystar716
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Mass is definitely a factor, though it's hard to say how much of a factor. Volume is definitely a factor, though again it's hard to say how much of a factor.
shinystar716
I know this is probably a super easy question but I have no idea what the answer is.

Which of the following factors are relevant in determining the range of a projectile that is launched on a very large flat plain (i.e. no hills or cliffs):

- initial launch speed
- acceleration due to gravity
- mass of projectile
- initial launch angle
- volume of projectile

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm. Any guesses? You have to show you've given the problem some thought in a concrete way.

I'm pretty sure that initial launch speed and initial angle are factors. My guess would be that acceleration due to gravity wouldn't be since gravity is always the same. I think that the mass must play a roll - the more matter the harder it is to be thrown. And finally I was unsure what they meant by volume of projectile. If that it is talking about how high the projectile goes I don't think that would necessarily be a factor but I"m not sure.

Good! Volume of the object is just how big it is, is it a cubic foot or a cubic yard. There is a problem with this question in that it isn't stated very completely. Eg. I think the questioner might expect you to say mass doesn't matter, but your point about larger masses being harder to accelerate is quite correct (like if the launcher were a slingshot with a heavy projectile). Similarly changing volume with a fixed mass doesn't matter if there is no air - if there is, it does. So this is not a "super easy problem", in fact, it's just plain ambiguous. Is that the complete statement? Where did you find it?

How about if we change the question a little. Tell me about each factor listed and tell me if it is "always a factor all else held constant" or "could be a factor depending on other assumptions". That might make life a little easier. I agree with you on speed and angle. Don't agree with you on acceleration due to gravity.

1. What is projectile range?

Projectile range refers to the horizontal distance that a projectile travels before hitting the ground, or any other surface, after being launched into the air.

2. How does initial speed affect the projectile range?

The initial speed of a projectile has a direct impact on its range. The higher the initial speed, the farther the projectile will travel horizontally.

3. How does gravity affect the projectile range?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the range of a projectile. As gravity constantly pulls the projectile down towards the ground, it causes the projectile to follow a curved path, resulting in a shorter range.

4. How does mass affect the projectile range?

The mass of a projectile does not have a direct effect on its range. However, a heavier projectile may experience less air resistance, resulting in a slightly longer range compared to a lighter projectile.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the projectile range?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range of a projectile. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it allows the projectile to travel both vertically and horizontally, maximizing its range. Any angle greater or less than 45 degrees will result in a shorter range.