Calculating % Kenetic Energy Loss: Initial & Final Energies

In summary: What am I doing wrong?In summary, to calculate the percentage of the initial KE that is lost, you need to calculate the change in kenetic energy over total kenetic energy multiplied by 100.
bmed90
I have to find the kenetic energy lost in the problem. I have both initial and final kenetic energy, how do i calculate the percent loss? I tried final over initial times 100 but that is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much KE is lost between the final and initial KE? That's the key in finding the percentage of the initial KE that is lost.

The answer is defenitaly negative, i know that

if you have an initial KE of say 50 units and end up with a final KE of say 40 units, then the KE that is lost is__________ ? Use that number as the numerator in your percent lost calculation.

Ok, so the change in kenetic energy over total kenetic energy multiplied by 100. Is that correct?

anyone?

PhanthomJay said:
if you have an initial KE of say 50 units and end up with a final KE of say 40 units, then the KE that is lost is__________ ? Use that number as the numerator in your percent lost calculation.

Don't rush:).As phantom said above.You have to find the "loss" of energy between initial and final moments. As an initial value you have 50 units, at the end you have only 40 left.Calculate how much energy we lost here.After that its all Mathematics...

Yes, I get the difference in 10, but after I find the difference, what do I do? I know this is a simple question. I just don't remember how to do this.

If you do lab reports in your science classes you will use the same formula to calculate the percentage error.

Well,, I am not trying to be a douche, but why can't anyone just say _____here is what you do______. Like I said I don't remember that is why I am posting this in the first place.

You should make your own attempt, you will not learn if you do not try yourself. When it comes to an exam you won't have a forum to help you.

Post your attempts, at least you'll be putting your brain to use by trying, if you are wrong then you will be corrected.

Change/Initial...?

times 100

Well, I keep getting the wrong answer. That must not be right, but I could have sworn it is the right way to do this.

1. What is kinetic energy loss?

Kinetic energy loss is the difference between the initial kinetic energy and the final kinetic energy of an object.

2. How do you calculate kinetic energy loss?

Kinetic energy loss can be calculated by subtracting the final kinetic energy from the initial kinetic energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy loss?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy loss is KE loss = KE initial - KE final.

4. Can kinetic energy loss be negative?

Yes, kinetic energy loss can be negative if the final kinetic energy is greater than the initial kinetic energy. This indicates a gain of kinetic energy rather than a loss.

5. What is the importance of calculating kinetic energy loss?

Calculating kinetic energy loss allows scientists to understand the efficiency of energy transfer in a system. It is also important in engineering applications to determine the amount of energy lost in a process.