Solving the Sum of Squares of 3 Consecutive Odd Numbers

In summary, to prove that the sum of the squares of any 3 consecutive odd numbers when divided by 12 gives a remainder of 11, it can be shown by setting up the equation (n^2 + (n +2)^2 + (n+4)^2)/12 = x + 11 and simplifying it to (12n^2 + 36n + 35)/(12) = (12)(n^2 + 3n + 2) + 11, where n is any odd integer. This shows that the remainder when dividing by 12 is always 11, proving the statement. Additionally, it is helpful to let n=2k+1 when considering odd numbers.
ruud
I'm getting confused and can't seem to wrap my head around this problem. Prove that the sum of the squares of any 3 consecutive odd numbers when divided by 12 gives a remainder of 11.

I'm not sure how to set this up or proceed I figured that

(n^2 + (n +2)^2 + (n+4)^2)/12 = x + 11

Where n is any odd integer

then I got

3n^2 +12n + 20 = 12x +123
3n(n+4) = 12x + 103
I'm not sure where to take it from here
Can someone start out on an alternate solution or set it up differently for me?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you will get a lot further if you let n=2k+1 which is always what you should do when asked to consider odd numbers

the bit where you write x+11 is wrong, as that isn't what 'has remainder 11 on dividing by 12' means.

omit the x entirely

look at the line 3n^2 +12n + 20

this has the same remainder as 3n^2 +20, now put n=2k+, and remember 12 = 0 mod 12.

(2n+1)^2 + (2n+3)^2 + (2n+5)^2
after expanding and simplifying
12n^2 + 36n + 35

as you see, 12 goes into 12n^2 evenly, as does 12 into 36...so far so good

and then we come to 35...35/12 = 2 + 11R...there is your 11

ie.

in general terms f[unction](n)=d[ivisor](n)q[uotient](n) + r[emainder](n)
where n is a positive integer

so the division statement would be:
12n^2 + 36n + 35 = (12)(n^2 + 3n + 2) + 11

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of squares of 3 consecutive odd numbers?

The formula for finding the sum of squares of 3 consecutive odd numbers is: n2 + (n+2)2 + (n+4)2, where n is the first odd number in the series.

2. Why do we use odd numbers in this problem?

We use odd numbers because the sum of squares of consecutive even numbers follows a different pattern and would not result in the same solution as using odd numbers.

3. How do we know that the solution is always a multiple of 3?

This is because the sum of squares of 3 consecutive odd numbers always results in a multiple of 3. This can be proven mathematically by expanding the formula and simplifying it using algebraic manipulations.

4. Can this problem be solved with any 3 consecutive numbers?

No, this problem specifically asks for 3 consecutive odd numbers. If any other numbers were used, the solution would not be the same.

5. What are some real-world applications of using this formula?

This formula can be used in various statistical analyses, such as calculating the sum of squares of residuals in regression models. It can also be applied in physics and engineering calculations, such as finding the total kinetic energy of a system with 3 objects moving at consecutive odd velocities.