Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question for you guys

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    Need help for a friend...Easy

I took physics last year at HS. and my buddy is asking me for help and I cant remember any of this. Here is what I know

What is the value for volume for a pressure of 500 torr?
    y= volume 160
    k= constant
    x= pressure 500

y=k/x

what is k the constant ?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Are you given that the volume is 160 (units?) and need k? In that case solve for k by multiplying by x on both sides to get k=yx. Above the equations you ask what the volume is, which confuses me a little. If you do not know k, you can't find the volume, since k will depend on the temperature.

4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    Are you talking about PV=nRT? (P=pressure, V=volume, n=# of moles, R=universal gas constant, T=temp.)

5. Aug 29, 2005 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

So the idea is there will be some function relating pressure, volume, temperature (absolute), and number of entities. The ideal gas approximation is often used in simple problems and asserts that
    PV/nT=R
    where
    P=pressure
    V=volume
    n=number of entities
    T=temperature (absolute)
    this also means that
    P1V1/n1T1=P2V2/n2T2
    so one variable can be found if all others are known, or known to not change.
    For your question more information is needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?