Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EASY Question from Physics Beginner

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    I am going to be taking Intro to Physics in the Fall when I go back to college. I've always been terrible in mathematics and have never taken physics before!

I found a cool little website called physicsclassroom.com. In an effort to get a head start on what will most likely be my toughest subject, I have printed out Lesson One which reads like Greek to me. I am positive someone can answer this question though.

Regarding acceleration, the tutorial states "In Example D, the object is moving in the negative direction (i.e. has a negative velocity) and is speeding up." I understand WHAT it is saying (i.e., I would be able to answer a question on a test) but I do not understand WHY, or HOW, rather, something can move in a "negative direction." To me, there is up,down, left and right -all of which are positives. If something is moving, it's going somewhere tangible. To move in a negative direction makes me assume it is going someone INtangible. Is the object going to Hell?

Can someone give me a real-life example of something moving in a negative direction?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    Acceleration is a Vector quantity. Vectors have both magnitude and direction. Therefore, some direction is chosen as positive, and the 'other' direction is negative.
  4. May 26, 2005 #3

Gold Member

We talk about negatives and positives when we setup our problem on the basis of a coordinate system. The Y and X axis is a good place to start. Remember that? Regular ol plain graph. Well, at 0,0, or the origin (center), nothing is happening yet. When you start going into a "negative" direction however, you are going in the -x or -y and since there is an origin designated as 0,0, it is obvious that there indeed is a "negative" direction. Theres no "negative" movement in real life but for the sake of doing calculations and graphing and working with problems, there is according to our graphs.
  5. May 26, 2005 #4
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be positive (no pun intended!). I figured it had something to do with that darn X & Y axis!!!

Thanks though!!! I'm sure I'll become a regular here!
  6. May 27, 2005 #5
    welcome physicsvirgin
  7. May 27, 2005 #6

I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more of me in the future.
  8. May 27, 2005 #7

Gold Member

It's more than just about the X and Y axis though. When doing experiments, you have to pick some quantity by which all else can be referenced. When if are experimenting with, for example, motion and friction of a moving object (such as a toy car), you will call its forward direction positive. Friction (i.e. brakes), rather than "decelerating" the car, apply a "negative acceleration".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?