Why Did My Projectile Motion Calculation Yield the Incorrect Height?

In summary, the projectile was fired from the ground at an angle 33° with respect to the horizontal and with an initial speed of 36 m/s. It was then fired in the same way toward a wall that is a horizontal distance 106.2 m from where the projectile was fired. The height of the projectile when it hit the wall was about 3.5 s.
waters
Okay, so I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong here.

Here is the question:
A projectile is fired from the ground (you can assume the initial height is the same as the ground) in a field so there are no obstacles in its way. It is fired at an angle 33° with respect to the horizontal and with an initial speed of 36 m/s. Air resistance is negligible in this situation.

The same projectile was then fired in the same way toward a wall that is a horizontal distance 106.2 m from where the projectile was fired.
What was the height of the projectile when it hit the wall?

t = vx/dx = 106.2 m / 36cos(33degrees) = about 3.5 s
Peak is at 2 s: vfy = viy + at = 0 = 36sin(33degrees) - 9.8t
3.5 s - 2 s = 1.5 s
y = vyt + (1/2)(ay(t^2)) = 0 + (.5*9.81*1.51747^2) = 11.3 m

I got 11.3 m, and it is NOT the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
waters said:
t = vx/dx = 106.2 m / 36cos(33degrees) = about 3.5 s
OK.
Peak is at 2 s: vfy = viy + at = 0 = 36sin(33degrees) - 9.8t
3.5 s - 2 s = 1.5 s
y = vyt + (1/2)(ay(t^2)) = 0 + (.5*9.81*1.51747^2) = 11.3 m
What you found (assuming you did the arithmetic OK) is the distance it fell from the peak. What you need is the height from the ground.

Why not just plug the time into the equation for y?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm feel as if I did the arithmetic correctly, but that's only because I don't think I can find my mistakes. I just entered 18.9 m, and it was wrong. The peak I calculated was at 30.192 m, and it was right.

By plugging the time into the equation for y, you mean vx/dx, right?

Hold on, that was the speed at the top. My bad. I'll try again.

I'm not too great at physics; it is seriously one of my weak spots.

Thanks for the help; I got the right answer. The maximum vertical distance is 19.594, so 19.594 -11.29 = 8.3 m, which is the correct answer. Sorry about the sig figs.

waters said:
The peak I calculated was at 30.192 m, and it was right.
Why do think it was right? (How far will something fall in 2 seconds?)
By plugging the time into the equation for y, you mean vx/dx, right?
No, I meant plug it into the formula for y(t). What's that formula?

But there are several ways to solve this. Yours is just fine, but you're making an error.

Oh, what I meant by that was substituting vx/dx for time into the equation that I used for y(t). Actually, it's exactly how I solved this problem.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of the initial velocity, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the initial velocity, and g is the force of gravity.

4. Can a projectile have negative range?

No, a projectile cannot have negative range as it is a measure of the horizontal distance traveled by the object. However, it is possible for the vertical displacement of the projectile to be negative.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. This is more significant for objects with larger surface areas and lower velocities.