1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question, simple algebra

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is just a question about order of operations. I recently started working through Morris Kline's "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach", but unfortunately my algebra's a bit rusty and the book doesn't list answers. I searched around via Google but I couldn't find any answers to this particular question.

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = -x^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to deal with the negative sign here or in similar equations. If I'm solving for x = some number, let's say 2 [i.e. f(2)], do I apply the exponent and then apply the negative sign (so the answer would be -4)? I remember something from school about how you can treat the minus sign as a -1 multiplied by whichever relevant quantities in some situations. In this case, I might rewrite the equation as f(2) = -1(2^2). Or, should I just treat the base as negative in this sort of situation, so the answer would be 4 (-2*-2)?

In the same way, if I'm entering f(-2), would it be -4 [-1(-2*-2)], or would it be 4 (negatives cancel each other out)?

Thanks, sorry if this question seems a bit trivial.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

f(x)= -1*(x^2)

do what is in the brackets first, in this case for x=2, get 22 then multiply by -1.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I wasn't sure about this one (whether a unary prefix operator is lower in precedence than multiplication), but you appear to be correct. At least wikipedia.org says so too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    So you are you saying that is is correct to rewrite f(x) = -x^2 as f(x) = -1*(x^2)? I just want to make sure you didn't misunderstand my post. I remember the basic order of operations, at least as far as the acronym goes - PEMDAS. I know how to solve f(x) = -1*(x^2).

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5
    yes, -x^2 = -1*(x^2)

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6
    Okay, thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook