1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    obvious question, but what happens when a 100N force acts on a mass of 1kg. What is the acceleration? is it 100 meters per second squared?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2
    Obvious answer. F=ma.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    see "followup to easy question"
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. Oct 10, 2007 #5
    I was looking online and i finally found where everything goes wrong.. With buoyancy, you cannot use simply F=ma to calculate acceleration of a bubble. It is not that simple. it ends up giving nearly unlimited acceleration in many circumstances when trying to apply it. ill get back about it when i have time

looren try not to be so cocky next time. everything is not always as straightforward as it may seem
  7. Oct 10, 2007 #6

I still maintain that F=ma. In your other thread, one post suggests "Check out Stokes' Equations on the terminal velocity of falling spheres." This seems the best approach. There, simply put, F=bv, where b is a damping constant. I believe that the velocity dependence arises not directly from a fundamental law but from nonconservative (e. g., frictional) action by forces on the atomic level.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?