Calculating the Fall Time of a High Diver from 36 m

• Thread starter Stroodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Time
In summary, the fall time of a high diver from 36 m can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the fall time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s², and the fall time is not affected by the diver's weight or body position as long as they have the same initial velocity and are falling from the same height. The fall time can be calculated for any height, but the formula assumes a vacuum with no air resistance. The accuracy of the calculation for fall time from 36 m depends on whether there is
Stroodle
If a high diver plunges from 36m above the water, what is the length of the time interval during which the diver falls through the air? - assume that throughout their dive, the diver is falling vertically from rest with an acceleration of [tex]10\ ms^{-2}[/tex]
I'm not sure how to answer this. I think I'm missing something really basic here.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you list the equation(s) you think are relevant to this problem? Hint: kinematic equations.

Oh. I've got it now. [tex]x=\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]. I missed that one when I looked through my formulas.

Thanks

1. How do you calculate the fall time of a high diver from 36 m?

The fall time of a high diver can be calculated using the formula: t = √(2h/g), where t is the fall time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s², which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

3. Is the fall time affected by the diver's weight or body position?

The fall time is not affected by the diver's weight or body position, as long as they have the same initial velocity and are falling from the same height. The formula for fall time only takes into account the height and acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the fall time be calculated for any height?

Yes, the fall time can be calculated for any height using the formula t = √(2h/g). However, this formula assumes that the object is falling in a vacuum with no air resistance. In real-life scenarios, air resistance may affect the fall time.

5. How accurate is the calculation for fall time from 36 m?

The calculation for fall time from 36 m using the formula t = √(2h/g) is accurate if we assume that the diver is falling in a vacuum with no air resistance. In real-life scenarios, other factors such as air resistance and the diver's body position may affect the accuracy of the calculation.