Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question

1. Aug 28, 2003 #1
    It was a 104 degree (F), zero humidity day in Las Vegas. I was standing by the pool. Everybody that went swimming emerged from the pool and instantly began shivering from the cold. It was HOT outside...VERY hot, yet their teeth were rattling from the cold and the pool water was warm too.

Why does this happen?

I am a non-physicist being bugged by a mate about this. Need help to shut him up.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2003 #2
    Evaporation causes refridgeration.

4. Aug 28, 2003 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My hunch is that most of the question is a red herring, and that the swimming pool is indoors and the thermostat is turned down low, thus chilling them as they exit the pool.

5. Aug 28, 2003 #4
    If I remember correctly from Chemistry, what you're talking about would be classified as an exothermic reaction where heat is released. So when the water evaporates from the body, it is pulling heat away in an exothermic process, resulting in refridgeration as zoobyshoe said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?