Simple Equation: Find x in 1+8x^{-1}+15x^{-2}

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
In summary, to find x for the expression 1+8x^{-1}+15x^{-2}, you can simplify it to (x+3)(x+5)/x^2 where x can be any real number except 0. However, if they are asking for all real numbers of x, then x can be any number, even complex. The textbook's solution is (1+\frac{5}{x})(1+\frac{3}{x}).
thomasrules
find x:

[tex]1+8x^{-1}+15x^{-2}[/tex]

I've got so far:

[tex]\frac{x^2+8x+15}{x^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find x for
[tex]1+8x^{-1}+15x^{-2}[/tex]

and so far you got
[tex]\frac{x^2+8x+15}{x^2}[/tex]

x can be anything, all real number, or even complex number... apple, orange, banana... just put what ever you want

sorry :) LOL ...ya a banana...ok just simplify

If they're asking for all real numbers of x, then x can be anything but zero. Otherwise, like vincentchan said, x can be anything, even complex.

sorry :) LOL ...ya a banana...ok just simplify.

(x+3)(x+5)=x^2+8x+15

vincent I know that but there is a x^2 underneath!

The answer in the book is

[tex](1+\frac{5}{x})(1+\frac{3}{x})[/tex]

can you simplify from my solution to your textbook's one?
(x+3)(x+5)/x^2=(1+3/x)(1+5/x)

;) got it thanks mr.

1. What is an easy question?

An easy question is a question that is simple and straightforward to answer, often requiring basic knowledge or common sense. It is usually not a complex or difficult question.

2. Why are easy questions important?

Easy questions are important because they can help to clarify information, test understanding, and encourage participation. They also provide a good starting point for learning and can lead to more complex questions and deeper understanding.

3. How can I come up with easy questions?

One way to come up with easy questions is to think about the topic you want to ask about and identify basic facts or concepts related to it. You can also consider what information would be helpful for someone who is new to the topic. Another approach is to use prompts such as "who, what, when, where, why, and how" to guide your question formulation.

4. Are easy questions only for beginners?

No, easy questions can be useful for learners of all levels. They can help to build a foundation of knowledge and understanding for beginners, but they can also serve as a review or refresher for more advanced learners. Additionally, easy questions can be an effective way to introduce new or complex topics to any level of learner.

5. How can I use easy questions in my research or experiments?

Easy questions can be a helpful tool in research or experiments as they can provide a starting point for investigation and can help to identify gaps in knowledge or understanding. You can use easy questions to guide your research or as a way to gather preliminary information before diving into more complex questions. Additionally, easy questions can be useful in communicating your research findings to a wider audience, as they can make complex information more accessible and understandable.