Easy questions, A ball is shot out from a launcher, what is the acceleration?

In summary, the ball is shot out from the launcher and it has an acceleration due to gravity that is increasing continuously.
nchin
A ball is shot out from a launcher as shown in the figure.

http://insight.ccsf.edu/file.php/4576/Lab_7_Prelab_Q1.JPG
(The picture is a ball being shot from a canon from on top of a building going down)

The acceleration of the ball is

a. zero
b. constant
c. increasing continuously
d. decreasing continuously

i just want to make sure, the answer is a) right??

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't open the pic, but once an object leaves the cannon, and in the absence of air resistance, it is acted on by the force of gravity only. Why do you say the acceleration is 0?

accel. is zero because since only the force of gravity is acting on it then it does not speed up or slow down so it is zero. am i right??

I can't see the picture as you need a log on but,
acceleration due to gravity is 9.81ms-2

therefore it must be increasing constantly as it falls, when the ball reaches maximum height acceleration is 0 for an instant

No. If an object is subject to a net force, it must accelerate in the direction of the net force, per Newton's 2nd law, F_net = ma. The net force here is the object's weight , acting down, mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration of gravity. So mg = ma. Is the acceleration, a, constant, increasing, or decreasing?

i chose the answer is c. increasing continuously, but it is incorrect...so I am leaning more towards accel is either constant or zero. The ball is shot horizontally by the way.

nchin said:
i chose the answer is c. increasing continuously, but it is incorrect...so I am leaning more towards accel is either constant or zero. The ball is shot horizontally by the way.

Why do you think its c? The force acting on the ball is always the force of gravity (even if its shot horizontally) which is constant.

im just listening to what Johnahh said "therefore it must be increasing constantly as it falls, when the ball reaches maximum height acceleration is 0 for an instant"

nchin said:
im just listening to what Johnahh said "therefore it must be increasing constantly as it falls, when the ball reaches maximum height acceleration is 0 for an instant"

Ask yourself, is that correct? Read carefully PhantomJay's post.

ah i see since mg = ma then it should be constant right?

nchin said:
ah i see since mg = ma then it should be constant right?

What do you think? If i answer that, i solve your homework.

thanks pranav!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier ball will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter ball when the same force is applied to both.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of the ball?

Some factors that can affect the acceleration of the ball include the force applied to it, its mass, air resistance, and the surface it is launched from. Other factors such as the angle of launch and the conditions of the environment can also have an impact on the acceleration.

5. Can the ball's acceleration change during its motion?

Yes, the ball's acceleration can change during its motion. If there is a net force acting on the ball, its acceleration will change according to Newton's Second Law. Additionally, if there are changes in the factors that affect acceleration (such as the force applied or the surface it is on), the ball's acceleration may also change.