Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy Questions - Plz Help

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    :confused: what is the physical meaning of the sign of the area under a velocity v. time graph (displacement) ??

what is the physical meaning of the sign of the area under a acceleration
    v. time graph (velocity) ??

:confused:
    plz help me

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I'm not quite sure what you mean: area is always positive. Assuming you mean "signed" area (a bit of a strange terminology), the area under the velocity v time graph is "displacement"- distance moved. If that is positive, then you have moved in the positive direction, if negative you have moved in the negative direction.

"Area" under the acceleration v time graph is change in speed. If that is positive, speed has increased, if negative, speed has decreased.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    ok i see, but lets say we have negitive displacement, does that mean the "area" would be graphed below the x-axis on a graph ?

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4

xanthym

Science Advisor

Yes, because velocity "v" would be negative ("under the x-axis"), and the integral would yield a negative value (or "area") for displacement.

~~

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook