1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Questions - Plz Help

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    :confused: what is the physical meaning of the sign of the area under a velocity v. time graph (displacement) ??

what is the physical meaning of the sign of the area under a acceleration
    v. time graph (velocity) ??

plz help me
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not quite sure what you mean: area is always positive. Assuming you mean "signed" area (a bit of a strange terminology), the area under the velocity v time graph is "displacement"- distance moved. If that is positive, then you have moved in the positive direction, if negative you have moved in the negative direction.

"Area" under the acceleration v time graph is change in speed. If that is positive, speed has increased, if negative, speed has decreased.
  4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    ok i see, but lets say we have negitive displacement, does that mean the "area" would be graphed below the x-axis on a graph ?
  5. Mar 16, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

Yes, because velocity "v" would be negative ("under the x-axis"), and the integral would yield a negative value (or "area") for displacement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?