1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy radial probability question

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the most probable radius of an electron for a 2s hydrogenic atom.

2. Relevant equations

r*=a0/Z where a0 is Bohr radius

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I know that the answer is ~5.2a0/Z. The book tells me that the most probable radius for hydrogen (EDIT - a 2s hydrogen shell I mean) is 5.2a0 - thus I know that the answer is simply 5.2a0/Z (275pm/Z) for the series of hydrogenic atoms. My only problem is this: I don't know how to get the coefficient of 5.2, and presumably simply getting it out of the book is not the right way to do it. I think it may have to do with taking the derivative of the wavefunction but I'm unsure...Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The probability for an electron to be found in the radial range r+dr can be determined using the wavefunction for the 2S state:

[tex]P(r+dr)=|\Psi_{200}|^24\pi r^2dr[/tex]

Now if you want to find the most probable value, your looking for the value of r, such that P(r+dr) is a maximum. Think back to calculus. What is the condition for a function, P(r) to be maximum?

HINT: The condition involves [tex]\frac{dP}{dr}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook