How does x^n/n! approach 0 as n increases to infinity?

• Thread starter Howers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, as n approaches infinity, the value of (x^n)/n! approaches 0 due to the fact that n! grows much faster than x^n for any finite x. This can be proven by considering the sequence of subsequent terms and realizing that the denominator of n! grows much faster than the numerator of x^n.
Howers
x^n/n! -> 0 as n-> +oo

I got 2 texts that explain this in 2 lines. A lot of steps skipped as you can imagine. Can anyone prove this in toddler language?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you mean: (x^n)/n!. Let's suppose J is the next largest integer to x, and consider the larger value of (j^n)/n!, now when n=j, we have (j^j)/j!, where only the last term is j/j=1. But, develope a second part of the series (j^j/j!)(j^j)(2j!/j!), this second product is of the form:

[tex]\prod_{i=1+j}^{2j}\frac{j}{i}[/tex] in which every term is less than 1, but we can continue to increase n to 3j producing another product:

[tex]\prod_{i=2j+1}^{3j}\frac{j}{i}[/tex] producing a even smaller product, etc. Multiplying these products all together as n becomes boundless gives us our result.

Last edited:
Or we could just note that n! grows much faster than x^n for any finite x. We can see this by looking at subsequent terms of the sequence. If x is some finite number, as soon as you get past the x-th term, the denominator is multiplying by numbers larger than x, whilst the denominator is still multiplying by x.

1. What is the formula for x^n/n!?

The formula for x^n/n! is (x^n)/(n!), where x is a constant and n is the number of terms in the factorial.

2. How does x^n/n! approach 0 as n increases to infinity?

As n increases to infinity, the value of n! increases much faster than x^n. This causes x^n/n! to approach 0 because the denominator becomes increasingly larger, making the fraction smaller.

3. Can you provide an example of how x^n/n! approaches 0 as n increases to infinity?

For example, if x = 2, then the value of 2^n is increasing faster than n!, causing the denominator to become larger and the fraction to approach 0. As n increases, the value of x^n/n! becomes smaller and smaller, approaching 0.

4. How does the value of x affect the rate at which x^n/n! approaches 0?

The value of x affects the rate at which x^n/n! approaches 0. A larger value of x will result in a slower approach to 0, while a smaller value of x will result in a faster approach to 0.

5. What is the significance of understanding how x^n/n! approaches 0 as n increases to infinity?

Understanding how x^n/n! approaches 0 as n increases to infinity is important in many areas of science, such as calculus and probability. It helps in understanding the behavior of functions and calculating limits, which are essential in many mathematical and scientific applications.