Solving for Unknown Cable Forces in a Beam: Easy Statics Question

• Thread starter formulajoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, Joe found that the total tension on the beam is 8.9 kN, and that the tension in cable AE is 13.2 kN.
formulajoe
There are three cables holding a beam in place. one cable, AC, is horizontal and coming off the left top of the beam. it has a value of 4KN. Another cable,AD, makes a 30 deg angle with AC and has a value of 5.2 KN. I need to find the magnitude of the third cable,AE, and the total force on the beam,AB. The beam makes a 65 deg angle, and AE makes a 50 deg angle. The beam and AE make a triangle, and AC and AD make a triangle.

I can find the total value of the addition of AC and AD, which is 8.9 KN. but i can't figure out any way to find the value of AE. If i can get AE, AB will be easy to find.

I made a rough pic with paint, but its too big to attach.
this is in the component force section of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
The picture would help. I'm a little confused about how it looks. Is point A the left end of the beam? If so, it seems like all three cables are attached to that end (nothing is attached to B). When you give the angles, could you specify where they are measured from? Like when you say 65 degrees, is that 65 degrees above the horizontal? If you can elaborate a little I will try to help you out.

point a is the top of the beam. point b is the bottom of the beam.
point c is on a horizontal line with point a. point d is at a 30 deg downward angle with the line ac. both of these are to the left. point e is to the right and down from point a. it makes a 50 deg angle with the ground. the angle is point up and to the left. AB is pointing up and to the right, and it makes a 65 deg angle with the ground.

I've got to assume that the third cable is BE rather than AE, since I don't see how the beam can be held up if nothing is attached to point B. To find the tension in BE, you can just check the sum of the forces in the horizontal direction (the units of force in all cases beloe is kN):

[tex] \Sigma F_x = -4 - 5.2\cos(30^\circ) + T_{\rm BE}\cos(50^\circ) = 0 [/tex]

You can solve for TBE directly. You can also solve for the weight of the beam by checking the sum of forces in the y-direction.

The resulting tension in the beam can be found by resolving the force components along the beam. (TAB = 5.2cos(65-30) + 4cos(65) = TBEcos(65-50))

Last edited:
point B is where the beam rests on the ground. points C,D are attached to a wall that is perpendicular to the ground. point E is on the ground.

Originally posted by formulajoe
point B is where the beam rests on the ground. points C,D are attached to a wall that is perpendicular to the ground. point E is on the ground.

Oh, let me look at it one more time and I'll post in a minute or three...

So do you know what the beam weighs?

If you write out 2 force balance and 1 moment balance equation, you should get something like:

[tex] \Sigma F_x = 0 = -4 -5.2\cos(30^\circ) + T_{\rm AE}\cos(50^\circ) + R_{\rm Bx} [/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_y = 0 = -W - 5.2\sin(30^\circ) - T_{\rm AE}\sin(50^\circ) + R_{\rm By} [/tex]
[tex] \Sigma M_A = 0 = -\frac{WL}{2}\cos(65^\circ) + R_{\rm By}L\cos(65^\circ) + R_{\rm Bx}L\sin(65^\circ) [/tex]

(I hope the subscripts are clear here; the reaction forces at B are assumed to be positive. If the ground is frictionless and the beam is not attached to the ground (merely laying there), then you can set RBx = 0.)

Then resolve the components of force along AB to find the tension there:

[tex] T_{\rm AB} = 4\cos(65^\circ) - 5.2\cos(85^\circ) - T_{\rm AE}\cos(15^\circ) = R_{\rm Bx}\cos(65^\circ) + R_{\rm By}\cos(25^\circ) [/tex]

(you can calculate the beam tension either way)

Last edited:
no idea what the beam weighs. just given the tension in AC and AD. there's two unknowns, so that's why i can't figure it out.

those answers don't come out right. the tension in ae should be 7.29 and the tension in ab 9.03.

Why don't u put it on one of the webpages, the problem is not clear to me

Hmmm... Those are definitely the right answers then? Unless I've still got the picture wrong, the equations I gave should be true, though without the weight handy, you should probably find the sum of moments about the cg to solve the problem. If you assume the ground is frictionless so that RBx = 0, then I get the tension in AE as 13.2 kN. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Originally posted by formulajoe
no idea what the beam weighs. just given the tension in AC and AD. there's two unknowns, so that's why i can't figure it out.

For an Equilibrium to hold true whatever the fig is The following hold true at any point

[tex]\Sigma{\vec F}=\vec0[/tex] AND
[tex]\Sigma{\vec\tau}=\vec0[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It involves the analysis of forces acting on objects and their resulting equilibrium.

2. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

While statics deals with objects at rest or in constant motion, dynamics involves the study of objects in motion with varying acceleration. In other words, statics focuses on the forces acting on an object, while dynamics looks at how those forces cause the object to move.

3. How is statics used in real life?

Statics has many practical applications in engineering and construction. It is used to analyze the stability and strength of structures such as buildings and bridges, as well as to design machines and other mechanical systems.

4. What are the fundamental principles of statics?

The fundamental principles of statics include the concepts of force, moment, equilibrium, and free body diagrams. These principles help to determine the forces acting on an object and how they balance each other out in a state of equilibrium.

5. How can I solve an easy statics question?

To solve an easy statics question, you should first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use the principles of statics to set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces or other quantities. It is important to draw a clear and accurate free body diagram to visualize the problem and make the solution process easier.