Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy study material to define the normal form of a differential system

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    Could someone suggest me an easy guide to transforming a system of differential equations into normal form around a particular point?

As I understand, normal forms are used in border collision bifurcations to define the new set of coordinates around the parameter value [itex]\mu _0[/itex]. By doing this, we accomplish finding the trajectory of the solution curve in the new half of the plane, am I right? (assuming our state space is divided into 2 halves)

I also came across normal forms while reading-up on a paper-'Generating Chaos in Continuous-Time Systems via Feedback Control' by Wang. I am still trying to understand the connection between normal forms and chaotification. If someone has any idea, this also would be very helpful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted