1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Stuff

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assuming that each cubic centimeter of water has a mass of exactly 1.00 g, find the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms.

2. Relevant equations
    well i just changed everything from grams to kilograms and cm to m

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well if there is 1g in each cubic centimeter then in 1 meter there is 1g right? so then u just need to convert g to kilograms. but when i do it and enter it in to the computer the answer comes up as wrong units and i am entering the units as kg/m^3 is that right. also i got .1kg/m^3 so hopefully that is right also
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Actually, 1 cubic centimetre cannot be equal to 1 metre. You see, the former is a unit of volume, and the latter is a unit of length, and they cannot be converted to one another.

Now, picture this... if there the mass of water in a cube of 1cm x 1 cm x 1cm (i.e one cubic centimeter) is 1 g, what is the mass of water in a cube of 1 m x 1m x 1m (i.e. one cubic metre)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?