1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy tensor question

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1

Ibix

Science Advisor

Another trivial question from me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which (if any) of the following are valid tensor expressions:
    (a)[itex]A^\alpha+B_\alpha[/itex]
    (b)[itex]R^\alpha{}_\beta A^\beta+B^\alpha=0[/itex]
    (c)[itex]R_{\alpha\beta}=T_\gamma[/itex]
    (d)[itex]A_{\alpha\beta}=B_{\beta\alpha}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Nothing relevant - these are generic tensors.

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) and (c) are not valid because the indices don't match up. (d) is valid - in matrix notation, A=BT.

I'm not sure about (b), though. The left hand side is valid; summing over the dummy index makes it a sum of two vectors. I'm not quite sure how to interpret the equality, though. I can see it as a vector equaling a scalar - which is not valid. Alternatively, I can read an implicit [itex]\forall \alpha[/itex] - in other words, that each element of the vector on the left hand side is identically zero.

I lean towards the first interpretation - but I'm not sure.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For an equation like (b), the zero on the right would normally be interpreted as the zero vector (rather than the zero scalar); or more precisely, it would be the ##\alpha## component of the zero vector (which would of course have a value of 0 in any coordinate system and any reference frame). So, I think your second interpretation is better.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

Thank you very much.

This is self-study. When I downloaded the problem sheet the answers were available - now term has started and they've gone... Shouldn't have been conscientious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted