Mastering Trig: Simplify Equations with Easy Tricks | Learn the Basics

• Thread starter lemurs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is having trouble with a math problem involving trigonometric functions. They are trying to rewrite an equation involving sin and cos, and are struggling with the identities involved. The expert suggests using the identities for cos(A+B) and cos(A-B) to simplify the equation.
lemurs
ok.. title says it all I feeling really stupid right now and seem to be having trouble with elementary stuff here..
given r= sin 3x

dr= cos 3x * 3
dx

i got that . but next step in the equation i am doing is

3cos 3x * cos x

as i said feeling stupid si it

3 cos^2 3x?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

You can only combine trig functions like that when the arguments are equal.

It's certainly not. If you're in doubt, write it as 3(cos(3x))^2.

To rewrite cos 3x * cos x, employ the identities involving cos(A+B) and cos(A-B).

ok i understna what you wrote neutrino
so i but i got that 3 out front so with the little identity bit wuld it be

3(1/2(cos(a-b)+cos(a+b)))

Yes, if it makes the problem any simpler.

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. It is important because it has numerous real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. What are some common trigonometric functions?

Some common trigonometric functions include sine, cosine, and tangent, which represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Other commonly used functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent, which are the reciprocals of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively.

3. How can I simplify trigonometric equations?

There are several techniques for simplifying trigonometric equations, such as using trigonometric identities, factoring, and substitution. It is also helpful to know the unit circle and the basic properties of trigonometric functions.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when learning trigonometry?

Some common mistakes people make when learning trigonometry include confusing the different trigonometric functions, not understanding the concept of radians, and not memorizing important identities and formulas.

5. How can I become proficient in trigonometry?

To become proficient in trigonometry, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and not just rely on memorization. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.