What is the Method for Solving an Easy Triple Integral Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a triple integral to find the volume of a solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 3x+6y+4z=12. The integrand should be 1 and the limits of integration are given as: for x, 0 to 4, for y, 0 to 3-x/2, and for z, 0 to 3-3x/4-3y/2. The resulting volume should be 4.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid.
The solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 3x+6y+4z=12

Homework Equations

[tex]z=3-\frac{3}{4}x-\frac{3}{2}y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm using the triple integral type of dzdydx.

At first I set z and x to 0, then z and y to 0 to obtain x and y limits but I think that was incorrect. I'm trying to integrate 3x+6y+4z-12.

I guess the upper limits of z will be the above equation done in editor, z=3-3x/4-3y/2 and lower limit will be 0?

That integration gets really dirty really quick. I doubt it is right. Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
that sound like the way to go, why not try...

shouldn't get too bad as its just polynomials
[tex] \int_0^{?}dx \int_0^{?} dx\int_0^{3-\frac{3}{4}x-\frac{3}{2}y} dz[/tex]

lanedance wrote that integral in a very pecular way- especially with two "dx"s! Clearly a typo.

I would write it as
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^a \int_{y=0}^{f(x)}\int_{z= 0}^{3- \frac{3}{4}x- \frac{3}{2}y}dz dy dx[/tex]

That last integral, with respect to x, must give a numeric answer, of course, so the two limits must be numbers. What is the largest value x can take in this figure?

The second integral, with respect to y, can give a function of x. For every x, what is the largest value y can have? Projecting this figure into the z value is the same as taking z= 0. Since 3x+ 6y+ 4z= 12 becomes the line 3x+ 6y= 12 when z= 0: 6y= 12- 3x so what is y as a function of x?

Of course, for each (x, y), z goes from 0 up to the plane 3x+ 6y+ 4z= 12 which is what gives the formula for z that you give and the upper limit for the "z" integral.

yep thanks Halls, meant
[tex] \int_0^{a}dx \int_0^{f(x)} dy\int_0^{3-\frac{3}{4}x-\frac{3}{2}y} dz[/tex]

nice explanation, apologies if the notation confused things, I find it easier to keep track of the integrals in the operator notation.

Frozenguy, meant the same thing as Hall's post, but work with whatever you're comfortable with.

Ok so y=2-x/2 and that is the upper limit for dy?
So when it comes to that upper z limit getting squared I distributed the whole thing but now I'm thinking I didn't have to haha.

So is that the right track for the limits? and dx limits will be [0,4] correct?

frozenguy said:
Ok so y=2-x/2 and that is the upper limit for dy?
So when it comes to that upper z limit getting squared I distributed the whole thing but now I'm thinking I didn't have to haha.

So is that the right track for the limits? and dx limits will be [0,4] correct?
sounds good - not sure why you were squaring things, but sounds like you're on the right track now

So can someone see any red flags? I'm getting a negative volume which doesn't make sense and plus the book says the answer is 4.
155-15.jpg

your initial integrand should just be the volume element dV = dx.dy.dz = 1.dx.dy.dz

In the form Hall's wrote:

[tex]\int \int \int dV
= \int_{x= 0}^4 \int_{y=0}^{3-x/2}\int_{z= 0}^{3- \frac{3}{4}x- \frac{3}{2}y}1.dz dy dx[/tex]

oh... Why is that? lol I'll try to read up on it but why don't we need to integrate a specific formula?

Thanks so much for your help

no think of the integral as [itex]\int_0^a f(x) dx [/itex] adding up thr contribution from infintesimal itegrand (f(x) dx) over 0<x<a. If f(x) =1, [itex]\int_0^a f(x) dx [/itex] just adds up each incremental length dx to find the total 'x' length.

For the volume integral its the same, [itex]\int \int \int dV = \int \int \int dx.dy.dz[/itex]. So as we want to calcaute the volume intergal think of it as adding up each infinitesimal block dV = dx.dy.dz, so the "function" to integrate must be identically 1.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a single or double integral in calculus that involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in space. It is represented by three nested integral signs and is used to calculate the volume of a solid or the mass of a three-dimensional object.

What makes an easy triple integral problem?

An easy triple integral problem typically has a simple and well-defined region of integration, a straightforward integrand, and can be solved using basic integration techniques. It may also involve symmetry or known geometric properties that make the integration process easier.

How do I set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you need to identify the region of integration and determine the bounds for each variable. This can be done by looking at the given limits and/or drawing a diagram of the region. Then, you need to write the integrand in terms of the three variables and place it inside the nested integral signs, with the appropriate bounds for each variable.

What are the common techniques used to solve triple integrals?

The most commonly used techniques to solve triple integrals are the iterated integral method and the change of variables method. The iterated integral method involves evaluating one integral at a time, starting with the innermost integral. The change of variables method, also known as the Jacobian method, involves transforming the variables in the integrand to simplify the integral.

What are some tips for solving triple integral problems?

Some tips for solving triple integral problems include breaking down the region of integration into smaller, simpler regions, using symmetry to simplify the integrand, and carefully choosing the order of integration to make the calculations easier. It is also important to carefully evaluate the limits of integration and use appropriate substitution or integration techniques to solve the integral.